Bishopstown’s goal blitz too hot to handle

Bishopstown 5-10 Carbery Rangers 0-14

Big scores are the order of the day — they clocked up 4-11 against CIT in the last round and in the most emphatic manner they upped that by two points when storming past Carbery Rangers in Coachford yesterday.

Next up is a semi-final meeting with the winners of Nemo Rangers and Douglas, and whoever it is, based on this evidence they will have their work cut out.

No doubt about it, this was a shattering defeat for Carbery Rangers, who reached the last four in 2012 and there were genuine hopes they might go further this year. But, they were simply blown away and you could say this game was done and dusted after a quarter of an hour when Bishopstown led 3-1 to 0-1, against the wind.

It was a seriously tough afternoon for the Rosscarbery team who were shell-shocked straight from the off — Denis Crowley rattled the net with the first green flag after just 35 seconds.

High, fast ball into the Bishopstown forward line wreaked havoc and it had the Carbery Rangers’ rear-guard at sixes and sevens. Unsurprisingly, three of their backline were substituted and all five subs were used before the second-half throw-in.

To be fair to Carbery Rangers, this was a day when everything possible that could go wrong, did go wrong. They were on the back foot from the early stages and when Bishopstown’s second and third goals were registered from the pacey Sam Oakes, they were in big trouble. They received a further blow when Crowley blasted his second, and Bishopstown’s fourth goal, with only 18 minutes gone.

And then as the half drew to a close, Oakes supplied goal number five (his third) following terrific vision from Alan O’Connor.

Indeed such was the polished ’Town display, you could pick out all 20 players who took to the field. Their six defenders were tight and their diagonal clearances set up fast attacking play. This yielded plenty of possession in open space, while Alan O’Connor and Daniel O’Donovan also gave them an edge at midfield, and O’Donovan later as a forward.

The only negative for Bishopstown was the loss of their number 10 Paul Honohan to injury in the first-half.

Carbery Rangers turned 5-3 to 0-4 in arrears, and really it was a case of damage limitation after that. They kicked five points within seven minutes of the restart, but couldn’t make any more headway. John Hayes went on to score six of their tally with Thomas O’Rourke rowing in with three points.

However, Bishopstown had done enough and they were happy to play down the clock. They added seven points in the closing 30 minutes. Carbery Rangers finished the game with 13 players after James Fitzpatrick and Seamus Hayes got their marching orders near full time.

Scorers for Bishopstown: S Oakes (3-0), D Crowley (2-1), D O’Donovan (0-3), F Ó Deasunaigh and B O’Callaghan (frees) (0-2 each), C Dorman (45) and P Honohan (0-1 each).

Scorers for Carbery Rangers: J Hayes (0-6, three frees), T O’Rourke (0-3), D Hayes (0-2), J O’Rourke, K McMahon and S Hayes (0-1 each).

BISHOPSTOWN: K O’Halloran; N O’Donovan, E Byrne, M Power; C Dorman, J O’Sullivan, D Lester; A O’Connor, D O’Donovan; P Honohan, D Hickey, F Ó Deasunaigh; B O’Callaghan, D Crowley, S Oakes.

Subs: C O’Neill for P Honohan (18 inj), D O’Connor for B O’Callaghan (50), E Costello for S Oakes (53), J Sweeney for F Ó Deasunaigh (60), J McLoughlin for C Dorman (62).

CARBERY RANGERS: P Shanahan; P Hodnett, B Shanahan, M O’Donovan; A Jennings, S Murray, G O’Brien; K McMahon, J Fitzpatrick; P Hicks, J O’Rourke, T O’Rourke; D Hayes, J Hayes, S O’Neill.

Subs: S Hayes for G O’Brien (15), G Ryan for A Jennings (23), J McCarthy for B Shanahan, M Kelly for P Hicks, K Fitzpatrick for S O’Neill (all half-time).

Referee: Pat O’Leary (Kilmurry).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up