O’Mahonys sail into last eight

Meath champions Navan O’Mahonys strolled through to the county SFC quarter-finals with a 0-10 to 0-5 victory over Seneschalstown in yesterday’s fourth-round clash at Stamullen.

The champions were never in danger of conceding their 100% record in this year’s campaign and with Stephen Bray spearheading the attack, led 0-5 to 0-2 at the break.

With Joe Sheridan unable to weave any magic in the Seneschalstown front ranks, O’Mahonys extended their advantage with Jake Regan top-scoring with three points.

Seneschalstown, last outright winners in 2009, are also likely to advance but will be without Andrew Collins, who picked up a straight red card.

Rathkenny became the first team to advance to the last eight when drawing with Skryne (0-12 to 2-6) at Dunshaughlin on Friday evening. Goals from brothers Brian and Ian Davis helped keep Skryne in contention and they led by 1-5 to 0-4 at the break. With Brian Lenehan putting over five points, Rathkenny hit back, but county midfielder Brian Meade was forced to retire with a worrying knee injury in the second half.

Meath goalkeeper Paddy O’Rourke was in the Skryne attack and shot a point in each half.

Another member of Mick O’Dowd’s 2013 side, Conor Gillespie, was dismissed for a second yellow card but his side, Summerhill, still emerged as comfortable 1-13 to 1-4 winners over St Patrick’s at Walterstown.

Veteran Adrian Kenny put over three points, and they led 0-7 to 1-1 at the halfway stage.

Gillespie saw red 10 minutes into the second half but Summerhill made light of the loss with a late goal and a point from Barry Dardis as they remain in the hunt for a last eight place.

Donaghmore/Ashbourne also stayed in contention with a runaway 2-17 to 0-6 win over outclassed Oldcastle in a Friday clash at Simonstown. Bryan Menton and Andrew Tormey impressed at midfield and Ciaran Beirne and sub Cathal Field netted goals.

Last year’s intermediate winners Na Fianna are impressing and the Enfield–Baconstown side look set to reach the knockout stage following their 1-10 to 0-11 victory over last year’s beaten finalists Wolfe Tones.

Former League of Ireland soccer star Shane Barrett shot the goal following a brilliant pass by Jamie Queeney and also fired two late points to seal a third win for the promoted side.

Former Meath and Ireland goalkeeper David Gallagher was another to see red, the Dunboyne player getting a second yellow late in the first half before Dunshaughlin revived their hopes with a 0-15 to 1-11 win at Dunsany.

Kerryman David Geaney scored seven points for Dunboyne but a late Caoimhin King point won it for Dunshaughlin.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up