Déise deliver opening victory for Carew

Waterford 0-16 UL 0-12 (AET)

The students looked set for victory as they led by a point entering injury-time before Déise defender Tony Grey surged forward to nab the equaliser. The home side pressed on in extra-time and outscored their opponents by six points by two.

This was a hard-fought encounter, which saw both sides commit heavy numbers to defence. UL raced into a four point lead inside eight minutes. Tipperary senior Alan Moloney stroked over two points, with Ed Walsh and Liam McGovern also on target. Moloney was a constant menace and he notched four first half points and six in all.

Waterford, who started with three debutants, took time to settle but they hauled themselves back into contention. Paul Whyte, Darren Guiry and Gavin Nugent bagged two points apiece to leave the sides level at 0-6 each by half-time.

Gary Hurney nudged Waterford ahead for the first time with the opening score of the second half. Paul Whyte pushed them two points clear but UL regained a grip on proceedings. Two points from substitute Denis Keohane gave them a slender advantage as the clock ticked down. Tony Grey had the last word in the second minute of injury-time however to tie it up at 0-10 apiece.

Waterford led 0-13 to 0-11 after the first period of extra-time, with Gary Hurney, Shane Ahearne and Grey all splitting the posts. Hurney landed two more in the second period to bring his tally to five and set up a semi final meeting with Tipperary next weekend.

Meanwhile, UCC grabbed a late goal to defeat Waterford by 3-18 to 1-23 in a senior hurling challenge match played at Ardmore yesterday afternoon. Déise boss Michael Ryan utilised his full squad in a game played over four periods of 20 minutes. Shane Walsh netted the Waterford goal.

Scorers for Waterford: G Hurney 0-5(1f); P Whyte 0-3 (2f); G Nugent, D Guiry, T Grey, S Ahearne (1f) 0-2 each.

Scorers for UL: A Moloney 0-6 (2f, 2 45’); E Walsh, D Keohane 0-2 each; L McGovern, J O’Rourke 0-1 each.

WATERFORD: S Enright; T Ó hUallacháin, M Scurry, J Hurney; T Grey, S Briggs, R Cahill; T Prendergast, S Ahearne; M O’Gorman, P Hurney, P Whyte; D Guiry, G Hurney, G Nugent.

Subs: C Phelan for Ó hUallacháin (h-t); L Ó Lonáin for Guiry (50); C McGrath for Nugent (52); S Prendergast for J Hurney (63); J McGrath for Scurry (68); S Dempsey for Cahill (80); J Wall for T Prendergast (83).

UL: R Byrne (Mayo); M Tierney (Kerry), T Clancy (Cork), B Maguire (Kerry); L Mulligan (Kerry), N Fitzgerald (Kerry), D Ryan (Clare); D Niblock (Cork), K Canty (Cork); L McGovern (Kildare), A Moloney (Tipperary), G Ryan (Tipperary); J O’Rourke (Cork), S O’Callaghan (Kerry), E Walsh (Kerry).

Subs: D Dolan (Mayo) for G Ryan (32); D Keohane (Cork) for O’Callaghan (54); J Spillane (Kerry) for D Ryan (78).

Referee: B Tyrell (Tipperary).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up