O’Connor’s three-goal blast delivers victory for Dingle

Dingle 5-5 Kilcummin 0-11

The eventual winners looked out of sorts in an error-ridden first-half. Their much vaunted attack containing the Geaneys, Michael, Paul and David, had failed to fire and was guilty of wasteful shooting. Shane McSweeney and Kevin Gorman held sway at midfield for the home side, while Kilcummin’s attack was more economical than their opponents. DJ Fleming kicked three points, McSweeney and Gorman scored one each, as did Daniel O’Leary and Mike McCarthy in a clinical display. Even Kerry county goalkeeper Brendan Kealy was on target, converting a 45.

Dingle’s profligacy, due chiefly to speculative shooting, could have left them in more difficulty. The 30th minute saw them 0-8 to 1-1 in arrears and down to 14 men – Paul Devane seeing red in the 17th minute for an off-the-ball incident. Then enter goal hero O’Connor. The tall attacker had already made his presence felt by punching home an opportunist goal from a long-range delivery after 15 minutes. He repeated the dose ahead of half-time when he took advantage of defensive hesitancy and diverted Paul Geaney’s free to Kealy’s net.

On that score everything seemed to change. Dingle, who looked a fitful outfit for 30 minutes seemed renewed with vigour, while Kilcummin, who had their tails up for most of the first half looked deflated.

At the break, Kilcummin, despite their impressive first-half showing, led by just a single point, 0-8 to 2-1.

Following the restart, Dingle went about their business with determination and they essentially finished the game as a contest in a devastating 10-minute spell.

During that period, they made light of their numerical disadvantage, scored 2-3, and killed off Kilcummin’s challenge. And again, it was that man O’Connor who rose to the occasion. Barely one minute after Colm Moriarty had nudged Dingle ahead, 2-3 to 0-8, O’Connor pounced in the Kilcummin square and sidefooted past Kealy.

Three minutes later, Paul Geaney blasted home for Dingle’s fourth goal, before stretching his side’s lead to 4-4 to 0-8 with a long range point. Kilcummin managed three of the next four scores to reduce the margin to six points, 0-11 to 4-5, before sub Mark Evans gloriously chipped a goal four minutes from time and send Dingle into the quarter-finals

Scorers for Dingle: B O’Connor (3-0), P Geaney (1-4, 0-1 free), M Evans (1-0), CB Moriarty (0-1).

Scorers for Kilcummin: DJ Fleming (0-5, 0-4 frees), B Kealy (0-1 45), S McSweeney (0-1), K Gorman (0-1), M McCarthy (0-1), Daniel O’Leary (0-1), K McCarthy (0-1).

DINGLE: S O’Flaherty; TB Brosnan, J Murphy, G Curran; P Devane, A Devane, SB Brosnan; CB Moriarty, D O’Sullivan; M Slattery, M Geaney, J Sheehy; P Geaney, B O’Connor, D Geaney.

Subs: B Kelliher (capt) for M Slattery (ht), M Evans for M Geaney (56), B Devane for J Sheehy (56).

KILCUMMIN: B Kealy; S Brosnan, K McSweeney, James Devane, Damien O’Leary, T Brosnan, C O’Leary; S McSweeney, K Gorman; John Devane, M McCarthy, Daniel O’Leary; K McCarthy, G O’Leary, DJ Fleming.

Subs: I Devane for Daniel O’Leary (40), K Murphy for J Devane (48), J McCarthy for James Devane (56), J O’Keeffe for G O’Leary (58), R O’Connor for K Gorman (59).

Referee: P Sheehy (Clounmacon).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up