Gunners firing on all cylinders

Waterford senior hurling champions Ballygunner have secured a place in the last eight of the 2012 competition with victory over Lismore at Fraher Field on Saturday.

The Gunners produced the best performance of the campaign to record a 3-22 to 1-11 victory as Lismore finished the game with 13 men following the red card dismissal of Maurice Shanahan and Ray Barry on a second yellow.

Ballygunner enjoyed a 0-14 to 1-6 half time lead before goals from Barry Mullane and sub Stephen Power sealed the win.

Dungarvan’s hard fought 0-19 to 0-15 victory over Passage East at Leamybrien on Saturday confirmed them as top team in their group and sets up a quarter-final against Tallow.

The winners led 0-11 to 0-6 at half time and looked set for an easy victory against a Passage side that struggled without the injured Eoin Kelly.

However the losers mounted a spirited second half rally with county star Noel Connors leading the way, and drew level (0-15 each) by the 53rd minute.

But Dungarvan closed out the tie with unanswered points from Cormac Curran (3) and Ryan Donnelly.

The meeting of Abbeyside and Ballyduff Upper provided the fans with a nail biting finish as Ballyduff came from 15 points down to earn a dramatic 4-13 to 2-19 draw.

First half goals by Mark Gorman and Gary Hurney helped Abbeyside to a 2-12 to 1-3 interval lead, and they tacked on three rapid fire points on the restart before Ballyduff mounted their incredible comeback.

Despite the absence of their county midfielder, Stephen Molumphy, they laid siege to the Abbeyside defence, and goals by Jamie Kearney and Kevin Casey gave them hope. They continued to make inroads into the Abbeyside before Brendan Hannon’s 58th minute penalty edged them sensationally ahead. It required a last gasp pointed free by Mark Gorman to give Abbeyside the draw that ensured their passage into the last eight.

Fourmilewater made it five wins out of five when they saw off Tallow’s challenge at Fraher Field yesterday (0-22 to 2-7).

The winners trailed 2-5 to 0-9 at the break with the Tallow goals coming from Paul Kearney and Thomas Ryan. A very different story after the break however, and with teenager Jamie Barron turning on a masterful display — scoring 15 points — Fourmilewater claimed the spoils.

The derby meeting of Mount Sion and Roanmore at Walsh Park yesterday provided ’Sion with a comfortable 1-19 to 0-15 victory.

They raced into a six point lead inside a dozen minutes, and Martin O’Neill’s fortuitous goal helped them to a 1-9 to 0-7 advantage at the interval.

Roanmore reduced the deficit to a goal by the 41st minute, but that was as good as it would get for them, and with O’Neill helping himself to 1-11 ’Sion eased to a comfortable victory.

Championship favourites De La Salle eased to victory over Dunhill at Carriganore yesterday (5-28 to 0-13).

Dean Twomey and Jake Dillon’s first half goals helped De La Salle to a 2-14 to 0-8 interval lead and there was little letup on the restart.

* Waterford SHC quarter-finals: Ballygunner v Mount Sion; Dungarvan v Tallow; Fourmilewater v Abbeyside; De La Salle v Lismore.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up