Wolfe Tones see off brave St Breckan’s

Wolfe Tones na Sionna made it two wins out of two when they defeated St Breckan’s at Corofin in the Clare SFC yesterday.

But it took extra-time to separate the sides with the Shannon club coming out on top by 2-9 to 1-10.

At the end of normal time it was 1-7 apiece after St Breckan’s led by 1-4 to 0-5 at half-time. In extra-time, Wolfe Tones, with Gary Leahy and Brian O’Connell in fine form, shaded it by two points.

At Doonbeg on Saturday, Cooraclare became the first club to reach the quarter-finals when they defeated Shannon Gaels, 0-13 to 0-8. Also on Saturday at Kilmihil, last year’s finalists St Joseph’s Doora Barefield recorded a one-point win (0-12 to 0-11) over St Senan’s Kilkee. This second loss for the Seasiders means they will now be involved in a relegation contest.

At Miltown Malbay yesterday, Ennistymon made it into the last eight for only the second time in their history when they had a comprehensive 1-15 to 1-6 victory over North Clare neighbours and rivals Liscannor.

Having led by 0-8 to 0-3 at half-time, a Sean McConigley goal in the 45th minute set Ennistymon up to take the honours while Robert Lucas grabbed a late consolation goal for Liscannor. Doonbeg also reached the quarter-final after defeating Clondegad by 2-14 to 3-9 at Kilmihil yesterday.

At Cooraclare, Kilrush Shamrocks defeated St Joseph’s Miltown by 0-12 to 1-8. In a replay of a first round game at Clarecastle last evening, current champions Kilmurry-Ibrickane beat Cratloe 0-17 to 0-9.

The title holders led by 0-8 to 0-5 the half-time after playing into a stiff breeze.

Meanwhile, there were a number of senior hurling ties played in the Banner county also over the weekend. In a thriller at Clarecastle on Saturday evening, Clonlara edged out 2011 finalists Sixmilebridge by two points and effectively dashed the Bridge’s championship aspirations for this year.

The game ended 1-16 to 2-11, in favour of Clonlara, the 2008 title-holders. Sixmilebridge got off to the best possible start and led by 1-1 to 0-0 inside the first minute. Paul Fitzpatrick pointed immediately after the throw-in and moments later, veteran Niall Gilligan crashed to the net, setting the wheels in motion for a terrific contest.

By the break, Clonlara, trailed by 1-8 to 0-6 but a Colm Galvin goal three minutes into the second period reduced the deficit to two. Then a Caimin Morey goal from a penalty swung the momentum back in the Bridge’s favour.

In a thrilling second-half, Clonlara outscored their opponents by 1-10 to 1-3 with Nicky O’Connell shining at centre-back. With two and a half minutes on the clock, a fabulous point by Clonlara’s half-forward Jason Murphy levelled matters and subsequent late scores by sub, Tommy Begley and O’Connell from distance, snatched it at the death.

In the preceding game, Clooney-Quin and Kilmaley played out a draw. An injury-time point by Kilmaley’s Cian Moloney tied the game with Clooney-Quin finishing with 2-12 and their rivals on 1-15.

Peter Duggan proved to be Clooney-Quin’s hero, scoring 2-8 of his side’s tally.

On Thursday evening at Sixmilebridge, Inagh-Kilnamona overcame Clarecastle finishing 2-11 to 0-15 in front. First-half goals by Cathal Lafferty and Shane Griffin helped Inagh-Kilnamona record their second win after two outings.

Despite the fact that inter-county minor star Bobby Duggan scored nine points for the Magpies, he couldn’t prevent his team losing out for a second time in the championship.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up