Four sent off as Barryroe get back in business

Barryroe 4-13 Dripsey 2-12

Having thrown away a six point lead with five minutes remaining to lose by two against Fr O’Neill’s in the opening round, when the heat was turned up and Dripsey plucked away at a lead that Barryroe had convincingly built-up – at one stage they were 13 clear – the likes of Michael O’Brien and Kieran Griffin stepped up to the plate for the West Corkmen.

To say it was a deserved win would be a slight understatement. They led from the fourth minute when Denis Harrington struck their first goal. By the interval, the gap was 2-8 to 0-5 in favour of Barryroe, their second goal following a scramble on the edge of the square involving Michael O’Brien, Kieran Griffin and Ciaran Hurley, with Griffin judged to have added the final touch with Dripsey keeper Aidan Buckley stranded. Dripsey, now in a perilous position, just couldn’t get to grips with the midfield pairing of Tadhg Harrington and John O’Donovan, who not only dominated puck-outs but also distributed some terrific ball to the Barryroe full-forward line.

The gap was extended to 13 at the beginning of the second-half thanks to a fine goal from O’Brien but an off the ball altercation between over a dozen players resulted in referee Jer O’Connell handing out three red cards. Dripsey’s Aidan Murray received his marching orders along with Barryroe pair Adrian Fleming and O’Donovan, though there was an argument of mistaken identity from the latter.

Nevertheless, Dripsey’s man advantage didn’t last too long as the game threatened to descend into farce with the dismissal of John Buckley for a strike on David O’Sullivan. Yet Dripsey began to make inroads and the deficit was rapidly eaten up.

A Ger Coleman goal on 44 minutes made it 3-9 to 1-6 and with Diarmuid O’Riordan and Mark O’Sullivan adding points, a second goal from David O’Sullivan brought the teams to within a goal of each other. However, Barryroe steadied themselves and took control again.

Griffin and Hurley added points while a bit of luck came into play when an O’Brien flick-on was unluckily deflected by Tom Aherne into his own net, putting an end to any Dripsey hopes of a comeback.

Scorers for Barryroe: M O’Brien 2-4, K Griffin 1-3, D Harrington 1-0, T Harrington 0-3 (0-2f), C Hurley 0-2, J O’Donovan 0-1(f).

Scorers for Dripsey: D O’Riordan 0-7 (0-5f), D O’Sullivan 1-1, M O’Sullivan 0-3 (0-1 65), J Carey 1-0, B O’Regan 0-1.

BARRYROE: B O’Donovan; E O’Dwyer, G O’Leary, T Carroll; G Coleman, J Fleming, B O’Brien; T Harrington, J O’Donovan; D O’Sullivan, A Fleming, D Harrington; M O’Brien, C Hurley, K Griffin.

Subs: C Cahalane for D Harrington (55), K McCarthy for M O’Brien (59).

DRIPSEY: A Buckley; S Murray, T Ahearne, J O’Mahony; P O’Riordan, C Hayes, J Buckley; D Buckley, M O’Sullivan; A Murray, D O’Riordan, J Carey; M Ryan, D O’Sullivan, B O’Regan.

Subs: G Keohane for Ryan, P O’Regan for O’Mahony (ht).

Referee: Jer O’Connell (Lisgoold).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up