Mighty Meelin put down a marker

Even though they were without star player Eamonn Brosnan, Meelin comfortably beat Dripsey in the Cork IHC at Mallow yesterday.

The nine-point advantage didn’t flatter the 2011 All-Ireland junior champions as they not only led from the second minute but also quelled the threat of usually prominent Dripsey duo of Mark O’Sullivan and Diarmuid O’Riordan superbly.

From the industrious play of Denis O’Riordan and Brendan O’Sullivan at the back to the clinical score-taking of centre-forward John Forrest, there was no arguing that Meelin were by far the stronger outfit.

There’s plenty for Dripsey to work on before entering the back door because this performance was too often bereft of the level of creativity required and most worryingly their execution in front of goal was terribly slack.

Although it wasn’t until the second minute of injury time that William Murphy scored Meelin’s goal, belting home the rebound after Aidan Buckley made a fine save from DJ O’Sullivan, the result was sewn up well in advance.

Dripsey did go toe-to-toe with Meelin between the 41st and 55th minute but the Duhallow outfit made sure they always kept their opponents at arm’s length.

Having taken a 0-10 to 0-4 lead at the interval, mainly thanks to Forrest’s finishing along with a couple of placed balls from Liam Collins, Meelin always had that little bit extra in their locker.

They moved ahead through Jeremy Curtin in just the second minute and by the midway point of the opening half opened up an 0-4 to 0-1 lead, O’Riordan and Forrest contributing with frees.

Dripsey’s only response came from Davy Buckley, one of few to impress in a blue and red jersey, and as the half wore on Meelin kept extending the gap.

It took 11 second half minutes for a score to be registered and though Drispey reduced the arrears to four thanks to a couple of points from David O’Sullivan and Dean McMahon, they couldn’t kick on.

Scores were traded but the buffer was never reduced any further and when substitute Jason O’Callaghan fired over for Meelin on 56 minutes, Dripsey looked beaten.

There was still time for Murphy to drive the sliotar home in injury time but by then their advancement had already been assured.

Scorers for Meelin: John Forrest 0-6 (4fs), W Murphy 1-1, L Collins (2fs), J Curtin, D O’Riordan (2fs) 0-2 each, W Buckley, J O’Callaghan 0-1 each.

Scorers for Dripsey: D Buckley, D O’Riordan (1f), M O’Sullivan (1f), D O’Sullivan 0-2 each, D McMahon 0-1.

MEELIN: S O’Sullivan; D O’Riordan, K Collins, D Linehan; J O’Doherty, B O’Sullivan, Jerry Forrest; L Collins, W Murphy; B Collins, John Forrest, J Curtin; C Murphy, W Buckley, D O’Sullivan.

Subs: TJ Brosnan for L Collins (32), J O’Callaghan for B Collins (54), D Curtin for C Murphy (58).

DRIPSEY: A Buckley; D Buckley, T Aherne, S Murray; J Carey, C Hayes, P O’Riordan; M Ryan, D Buckley; M O’Sullivan, D O’Riordan, B O’Regan; D McMahon, J O’Mahony, D O’Sullivan.

Referee: D Copps (Ballyhea).

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd