Horgan scoring burst sets up Carbery clash

BARRY HORGAN provided the inspiration as Newcestown saw off the challenge of Bishopstown in a keenly contested county senior football championship fourth round tie in Ovens last night.

Operating at right corner-forward, Horgan contributed four of his side’s eight points, three of them in a row just after half time to put his side into a mouthwatering quarter-final clash with fellow west Cork side Carbery Rangers.

While Horgan did most of the scoring, Newcestown were grateful to the brilliance of Carthach Keane at midfield, and the surging runs of Hugh Curran at centre-forward.

Teak tough and bustling in defence where Odhrán Keane and Niall O’Sullivan conceded nothing, Newcestown never allowed their opponents time to settle on the ball, and while the scores were close all through there was no disputing that the better team won on the night.

Bishopstown won a penalty after a foul on corner-back Ian Jones, but the referee’s attention was drawn to an incident which left Newcestown full-back John Crowley on the ground on the goal line and, after consultation with his umpires, the referee cancelled the penalty and gave a free out instead.

It was a decision that was to have a profound effect on the outcome, as had the Town goaled from the penalty, there was every chance they would have gone on to win the game.

The city side played with whatever wind advantage there was in the opening half but it was Newcestown who enjoyed more of the play and a second point by Hugh Curran had them two to the good after 10minutes.

As the half wore on, however, Bishopstown came more and more into the game and strung a couple of good moves together which resulted in two points and the levelling of the scores by the 20th minute.

Town were enjoying their best spell with Pa Cronin and Paddy Curran prominent for them, and a great point from a free out on the sideline by Daniel O’Donovan had them in front for the first time. When Denis Crowley tacked on another, a 0-4 to 0-2 lead reflected Bishopstown’s superiority.

However, Newcestown hit back strongly with a brace of points to be level coming up to the break before Bishopstown’s Mark Driscoll eased over a point which gave his side an interval lead of 0-5 to 0-4.

After the change of ends Carthach Keane began to have a huge influence for Newcestown at midfield and after impressive corner-forward Barry Horgan landed the equalising point in the 32nd minute, he showed his prowess as a free-taker with two more to edge the west Cork men into an 0-7 to 0-5 lead by the three-quarter stage, the Town still without a score in the second half.

As the tempo of the game quickened, Bishopstown had their opening score of the half when Pa Cronin, now operating at full-forward, pointed from play with 13 minutes to go, but it was to be their last score and Newcestown finished the game with the best score of the night when Tadhg Twomey finished off a tremendous passing movement from their own defence with the insurance point.

Scorers for Newcestown: B Horgan 0-4 (3f); C Keane, H Curran, D Twomey, T Twomey 0-1 each.

Scorers for Bishopstown: P O’Connor, P Curran, D O’Donovan (1f), D Crowley, M Driscoll, P Cronin 0-1 each.

NEWCESTOWN: P White; G O’Rourke, J Crowley, O Keane; E Kelly, N O’Sullivan, J Desmond; C Keane, F Keane; D Twomey, H Curran, D Heffernan; B Horgan, T Twomey, S Ryan.

Sub: B O’Mahony for D Twomey (55).

BISHOPSTOWN: K O’Halloran; N O’Donovan, A O’Connor, I Jones; J McLoughlin, P Cronin, M Driscoll; C O’Neill, J O’Sullivan; D O’Donovan, D Hickey, P Honohan; P Curran, D Crowley, P O’Connor.

Subs: J O’Shea for Hickey (ht); O Costello for Honohan (55); B Healy for O’Connor (58); B Coffey for Curran (55); D Lester for J McLoughlin (60).

Referee: N Barrett (Carrigtwohill).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up