Keaney: Luck was on my side in accident

CONAL KEANEY has revealed how lucky he was to only escape with knee and ankle injuries from his motorbike accident last Friday morning on his way to work.

Speaking exclusively to The Irish Examiner, the Ballyboden St Enda’s talisman expressed his frustration at missing out on Sunday’s All-Ireland quarter-final win over Limerick as well as the August 14 semi-final against Tipperary, as a result of his injuries.

However, weighing up the pros and cons of what happened he understands things could have been a lot worse.

“I know I was lucky,” admitted Keaney.

“Over the weekend there were a couple of other bike accidents and the people involved in them died. I don’t need to be told I’m more fortunate than unfortunate.

“That said, it’s very disappointing at the moment. The team were going well this year and now they’ve reached the All-Ireland semi-finals. In the overall scheme of things, I’ve no head or spine injuries so it’s not too bad considering. But the season is gone and that hurts.”

Keaney described the accident, which happened at a notoriously dangerous junction close to St Anne’s GAA club in Bohernabreena as he was on his way to Blessington where he works as sales and marketing manager at the Avon Rí resort.

“The van driver was turning while I was going straight on and he thought he was going to get around before I was coming but he didn’t,” recalled Keaney.

“I breaked and then tried to turn away from him as but the van was coming closer and closer and we collided. I got off the bike but trapped my right foot between the bike and his bonnet. I jumped off the bike then but I landed on my left knee and that’s how I did the cruciate.”

Keaney’s cruciate will be operated on by top surgeon Ray Moran in Santry on Friday.

He’s been told to keep his knee muscles strong and is expecting to be kept in the clinic for a couple of nights.

“The muscles around it would be in good order and there’s not much swelling so I just have to keep it moving as I would have before.”

Keaney’s employers Avon Rí have given Keaney “as much time as I need” but he’s hoping “to get back as soon as I can”.

The 28-year-old was taken aback by the amount of well-wishers and messages of support after it emerged on Friday he had gone to Tallaght Hospital with injuries.

“I just want to thank everyone who has been in touch. The amount of messages I got was unbelievable. I even got one from the Limerick County Board, which was nice.”

Although Keaney wasn’t able to contribute on the field in Thurles, he still had his say when he put together a video message for the players.

“Ah, there was nothing major in it,” he said. “I just wished them the best of luck and told them how good we have been all through the year. One bad game (the Leinster final v Kilkenny) didn’t make us a bad team and it had changed nothing. We had been going well all year and it would have been a shame to let it stop at the quarter-finals.”

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Discover the

Install our free app today

Available on