Corofin signal intent as Cortoon demolished

CHAMPIONS Corofin laid down a firm marker at the weekend that they are driven in their quest to become the first Galway club in 50 years to complete three county senior football titles in a row.

The champions signalled their intent for the coming year when they demolished Cortoon Shamrocks by 2-9 to 0-3 in the opening round on Saturday evening in Tuam Stadium.

Goals from Padraig Hanly and Justin Burke sealed an easy victory for Corofin as the champions limited Cortoon Shamrocks to a solitary point from Derek Gilmore in the entire second half.

But the shock of the opening round came when Caltra, forced to field without injured Galway captain Michael Meehan, were sensationally defeated by Barna, who are managed by former Mayo star Pat Fallon.

Caltra, who will now have to go through the back door system, led by 0-8 to 0-2 at half time with the strong breeze behind them, but Barna powered back and held their illustrious opponents scoreless in the second period.

Salthill/Knocknacarra edged out Claregalway as a Conor O’Holloran first-half goal set his side up for victory. Sean Armstrong returned from a hamstring injury for the seasiders and was in fine form as his side held on for a 1-7 to 0-7 win.

Galway city side St Michael’s were well in touch in the opening half when they trailed Moycullen by just a point at half time. Mark and Phillip Lydon were on scoring form for Moycullen who stepped up a gear in the second half and raced into a five-point lead before the city side scored after the restart.

Then Moycullen struck for a goal to seal the game and the game was in injury time before St Michael’s scored a late goal. Moycullen won 1-9 to 1-4.

Killanin came with three late points from twins Patrick Sweeney and Cathal Sweeney to snatch a dramatic win against An Ceathru Rua after extra time. A Cillian De Paor goal looked to have set up An Ceathru Rua for victory but scores from the Sweeney brothers and Stephen Kavanagh sent Killanin through on a scoreline of 0-14 to 1-10.

A goal from Rory Gaffney proved key as 14-man Tuam Stars defeated Annaghdown 1-10 to 0-12 in Tuam Stadium yesterday. Gaffney followed his four points from play in the first half with the key goal 10 minutes from time and a late Shane Curtin point sealed the win.

Last year’s runners-up Mountbellew/Moylough moved into the next round after a 0-10 to 0-7 win over Killererin. The accuracy of Cathal Kenny proved key as the north Galway side moved into the second round, where they will join Leitir Mor who defeated Caherlistrane by 0-11 to 0-8, and Milltown who claimed a 2-10 to 0-7 win over Michael Breathnachs.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up