Experienced defender Curran played a central role in the strike crisis that raged in Cork throughout last winter and spring and admitted the lengthy debacle had a big impact on all the individuals involved.
It’s why he hopes the Clare players currently at loggerheads with manager McNamara can find a speedy resolution and avoid another winter of discontent.
“Definitely, the faster you can get something sorted, the better. Maybe both sides can come together and work something out,” said Curran. “Once it escalates, things just get messy and no-one wants that.”
He revealed: “It does take a lot out of you. Half the thing is dodging people, dodging you guys (the media), dodging any questions that come. Then you have all the meetings. There’s a lot in it, the worry and the nerves of the whole thing. It also takes a lot out of management and whoever else is involved with the thing.
“It’s somewhere no-one wants to be and the faster it’s sorted out in Clare, the better.”
Tony Griffin is the first playing casualty in Clare, having announced his retirement at just 28.
The former All Star said he wasn’t prepared to invest his time in a set-up that, he claimed, wasn’t correctly structured by management.
The development followed a near unanimous players’ vote of no confidence in the management team.
“It would be a travesty if someone like that had to retire at 28 years of age,” said Curran of Griffin’s announcement.
“He’s been a great player for a good few years. You want your best player playing, no matter what county it is.
“That’s what makes the GAA great, different players in each county performing to their best.”
Griffin may possibly return under a new manager and Curran suggested we may not have seen the last of the Banner County forward.
“Hopefully it doesn’t come to that and hopefully things are sorted,” continued Curran.
“I remember marking Tony as far back as minor when he gave me a bit of a roasting for half an hour in Thurles.
“He’s obviously a very good player, very fast and very strong. Hopefully he’ll be back playing fairly soon.”
Curran admitted he thought his own playing days were over at one stage during the Cork row.
“Yeah, definitely,” he said.
“Earlier in the year I thought we were struggling, especially when we didn’t get the winter training under our belts.
“It was hard this year. I’ve been around a few years now and you’re getting to that age. You count your years that are left. Hopefully this coming year we’ll have a good go at it.”
Curran was in Croke Park yesterday to launch Mycro’s range of hurling helmets and gloves.
From January 1, safety helmets will be mandatory among players in all grades in hurling.
It was feared the new rule would force many veterans who never wore helmets out of the game. But Waterford’s Ken McGrath and Tipperary’s Brendan Cummins, who never wore helmets, were yesterday unveiled as Mycro ambassadors alongside Kilkenny’s Tommy Walsh and Michael Rice.
Curran also revealed that Cork legend Diarmuid O’Sullivan won’t retire from club hurling with Cloyne over the issue, as previously reported.
“Sully will be wearing a helmet,” said Curran. “He only rang me two days ago to put in his order.
“There’s another few years left in Sully. He’s going to play away in the forwards with Cloyne.”
Those who don’t wear helmets have traditionally been goalkeepers and defenders who feel it restricts their view for high fielding. Curran said Mycro are working on a particular design that may alleviate those concerns.
“We’re working on something and hopefully towards the end of the year we’ll have something out,” he said.