Kerin the hero as Ballyboden sink Saints

AFTER a fortnight of energy sapping action, Ballyboden St Enda’s put their fatigue to one side to claim a remarkable Dublin SFC title at Parnell Park.

Corner-forward Andrew Kerin provided the star turn with a matchwinning 2-5 having come into the game with just 0-10 from their marathon seven game campaign.

He struck first after seven minutes to put ‘Boden into the lead after a slow start that saw them fall 0-1 to 0-3 behind.

Then he effectively decided the game with a wonderful solo goal in the 41st minute that put ‘Boden seven clear and deserved to settle the tie.

But Kerin’s class was outdone by the character of the team in general who were competing in their fourth SFC tie in 17 days.

They finally defeated holders Kilmacud Crokes just last Tuesday night after two semi-final replays, both of which went to extra-time amounting to 220 minutes of action.

Their request for a postponement of yesterday’s final until tomorrow night wasn’t granted but if tiredness was a problem it didn’t show as ‘Boden led by four points at half-time.

Admittedly, they faltered late on and Jude’s reduced their arrears to two points with a 57th minute goal but ‘Boden crucially clung on for a deserved win.

They’ll face Rathnew of Wicklow in the Leinster club SFC on November 8 and will hope to emulate the provincial successes of 2007 Dublin champions St Vincent’s and 2008 winners Crokes.

“When we look back now we can say that it was our resilience that’s taken us to the title after two very testing weeks,” said ‘Boden manager Liam O’Dwyer who hailed Kerin’s display.

“Every ball that went in to him stuck to his chest. He got away a couple of times and put over a few beautiful points but the two goals were really special.”

Jude’s actually moved into that 0-3 to 0-1 early lead but Kerin’s first goal in the seventh minute put ‘Boden into a lead they wouldn’t relinquish.

Captain and Dublin panellist Declan O’Mahony picked out Kerin in space and his left footed drive beat Copeland at his near post.

It was an excellent first-half where both sets of attacking units were on top and happily exploited, at times, gaping holes in both defences.

Kerin added three more points to his goal while Daniel Davey notched a brace of scores to help ‘Boden into a four point 1-8 to 0-7 interval lead.

Former Dublin player Brendan McManamon, Brian Monaghan and Andy Glover hit fine scores for Jude’s.

Jude’s, who overcame many people’s favourites St Oliver Plunkett’s after a quarter-final replay, showed their character again with back to back points early in the second-half.

But the game was ultimately decided between the 37th and 41st minutes as ‘Boden moved seven clear with 1-1 from Kerin and a Keaney point.

Both sides traded points from there in and Jude’s pulled back a fortuitous goal three minutes from time through sub Michael Lyons who bundled the ball home.

But while Paul Cunningham reduced Jude’s arrears further to just two late on with a lobbed point ‘Boden deservedly hung on.

BALLYBODEN ST ENDA’S: D Walsh; C Dolan, I Clarke, M O’Sullivan; D Nelson, J O’Hara, S Durkin; M MacAuley, D O’Mahony; S Lambert, D Davey (0-2), C Smyth; C Keaney (0-3), K Naughton (0-2), A Kerin (2-5; 1f).

Subs: P Galvin for Davey 35-36, Galvin for Davey 41, D Shovlin for Lambert 50, P O’Brien for O’Sullivan 55, C Hiney for MacAuley 62.

ST JUDE’S: P Copeland; C McBride, S Breheny, C Guckian; P Cunningham (0-1), N O’Shea, S Ryan (0-1); C Murphy, A Glover (0-1); R O’Brien, B McManamon (0-2; 1f), B Monaghan (0-2); J Donnelly (0-2; 2f), D Donnelly (0-1), K McManamon (0-2; 1f).

Subs: R Joyce for O’Brien 25, S Gallagher (0-1) for Donnelly 35, M Lyons (1-0) for Monaghan 47, C Voyles for B McManamon 55.

Referee: B O’Shea (St Mark’s).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up