Killavullen through as Glanmire pay penalty

INSPIRED by Brian Murphy, Killavullen dashed the hopes of favourites Glanmire in a disappointing Evening Echo Premier IFC semi-final at Pairc Na Bride, Rathcormac on Saturday.

Glanmire, with Michael Cussen in their ranks, were expected to advance but while the big Cork forward was majestic under the high ball, his shooting was atrocious and the losers failed to convert territorial advantage into scores.

It was one of those days when very little went right for Cussen, whose cause was not helped when he received a yellow card early on after a tangle with Killavullen midfielder Brian O’Driscoll.

That incident came as Killavullen led 1-2 to no score. The goal came after six minutes when Killavullen midfielder, Paul Hartnett, dropped a high ball in for Alan O’Driscoll who fisted it down to the inrushing Dave Hartnett who gave Mark Byrne no chance with a low shot to the right corner.

Glanmire, who trailed 1-3 to 0-3 at half time, soon had a golden opportunity to draw level when they were awarded a penalty after Barry Kirby’s shot had been blocked down, but keeper Martin Carroll denied them with a brilliant save from a well struck Mark Hopkins effort.

Glanmire were playing catch-up and Killavullen were the better organised side. Wing back Colm O’Connell, and wing forward Joe O’Neill won all the breaking ball in their vicinity and provided a rich harvest for an attack that was over-eager if not extravagant.

Their performance up front was underscored by 11 wides (while Glanmire had just six) but it must be admitted that they were forced into hasty shooting by the close marking of the Glanmire defence.

With most of the attention focused on Cussen in the centre of the field, Paul Hartnett broke clear for two great points for Killavullen and centre half back, Ian O’Driscoll, stepped up to score an important point 10 minutes into the second half when wing back, Brian Murphy, had reduced the margin to one.

There were incidents on and off the ball to keep the attendance entertained as Killavullen stretched their lead again with points from Paul Hartnett and Declan Dorgan and they might have had another goal but for a brilliant save from Byrne after Alan O’Driscoll had broken through on the end of a great movement involving Ian O’Driscoll, Donal Relihan and Liam Dorgan.

Scorers for Killavullen: D. Hartnett 1-0; P. Hartnett, J. O’Neill (0-1 free) and D. Dorgan (frees) 0-2 each and I. O’Driscoll and A. O’Driscoll 0-1 each.

Scorers for Glanmire: J. Murphy 0-4 (0-3 frees), F. O’Reilly, M. Hopkins (free) and B. Murphy 0-1 each.

KILLAVULLEN: M. Carroll; J. O’Regan, A. Brennan, B. Norris; B. Hayes, I. O’Driscoll, C. O’Connell; B. O’Driscoll, P. Hartnett; J. O’Neill, L. Dorgan, D. Hartnett; D. Dorgan, D. Relihan, A. O’Driscoll.

GLANMIRE: M. Byrne; D. Kenneally, S. Knowles, D. O’Connell; A. Garvey, R. Ryan, B. Murphy; M. Hopkins, M. Cussen; B. O’Callaghan, F. O’Reilly, K. Mulvihill; P. Meaney, M. Cussen, J. Murphy.

Subs: P. Hanley for A. Garvey (44), T. Drinan for F. O’Reilly (46), C. Mulvihill for K. Mulvihill (50).

Referee: Hugh Kelleher (Canovee).

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd