Mannix and Lynch inspire Kilworth cakewalk

Kilworth (Cork) 5-13, Granuaile (London) 0-6

It might have taken them a while to fire, but once Adrian Mannix got their opening goal in the 18th minute the British champions were fighting a losing battle as Kilworth’s power play took over.

Hardly the kind of game coach Pat Greehy wanted but he was still pleased with the basics. “Yes it was easy, I suppose too easy, but there’s still no substitute for a championship game. Danesfort will be a different proposition, I know, but all we can do is strive for a good performance.

“We hurled well, that’s all I can ask for. We picked up a few injuries though as Brian Tobin looks to have a broken finger. But, fair play to Granuaile, it can’t have been easy for them.”

Stars of the show were Mannix and Paudie Lynch. Paudie hit 1-6 before the interval and was then rested.

Mannix scored 2-4, 1-2 in a five minute spell after the break before he was called ashore.

KiIworth were slow out of the blocks, with sloppy shooting even making them a little edgy. They should have had two goals in the opening 10 minutes, Lynch and Mannix missing gilt-edged chances. But the class duo more than atoned, scoring 2-8 between them in the opening half.

Kilworth led 0-4 to 0-2 after the opening quarter with Caoimhin Keeshan and Kevin Hough keeping Granuaile in touch. But that’s as good as it got for the British champions. But for brilliant Granuaile keeper Sean Houlihane it might have been a massacre, for with Damien McNamara, Will Twomey and Elton Pierce in superb form Kilworth scored at will and led 2-10 to 0-2 at the break.

There was no respite for Granuaile in the second-half as Mannix had some fine scores before departing.

In fairness, the visitors plugged away. Aidan Kenny pointed a free and Richie Barnes had a point from play as Kilworth led 3-13 to 0-4 entering the final quarter.

Substitute Sean Beecher and Joe Cahill added to Granuaile’s woes with goals in the 47th and 48th minutes, though the London side had the last say with points from Eoin Gormley and another Barnes free.

Really though the final whistle was their only relief.

Scorers for Kilworth: A. Mannix 2-4, P. Lynch 1-6 (0-3 frees), S. Beecher and J. Cahill 1-0 each, D. O’Donoghue, B. Tobin, A. Kenny (free) 0-1 each.

Granuaile: R. Barnes 0-2 (frees), C. Keeshan, K. Hough, G. Dunne, E. Gormley 0-1 each.

KILWORTH: K. Walsh; A. Kenny, J. Hegarty, D. McNamara; M. McNamara, W. Twomey, M. O’Connor; D. Cahill, E. Pierce; T. Twomey, B. Tobin, J. Cahill; P. Lynch, A. Mannix, D. O’Donoghue.

Subs: D. Tobin for O’Connor, A, Kenny for Lynch, J. Moakley for Mannix, S. Beecher for D. Tobin, A. Kearney for Walsh.

GRANUAILE: S. Houlihane; P. Behan, S. Shea, T. Coen; N. McClaren, O. Forde, R. Barnes; K. Hough, K. Hayes; E. Duggan, S. O’Brien, G. Lane; C. Keeshan, G. Dunne, E. Gormley.

Subs: B. O’Malley for Coen, J. Barrett for McClaren, K. Cullinane for O’Brien, B. O’Rourke for Dunne.

Referee: J. Healy (Clare).

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd