Murphy point denies Vincent’s

A POINT by James Murphy two minutes from time earned Glanmire a deserved draw in a tremendously exciting Evening Echo county premier IFC final at Páirc Uí Rinn yesterday.

Murphy was under enormous pressure to score from 45 metres out, but he displayed marvellous composure to split the posts with a superb kick, and his side got a chance to win the game in injury time. However, Daniel Molden’s effort from a 45 was poorly struck and was easily cleared.

With the Munster championship planned for next Sunday, the likelihood is that the replay will be played under lights on Wednesday night, but with players at college and working out of the county, Glanmire are unlikely to agree to that date.

A draw was the right result — the sides were level five times over the 62 minutes played, and for sheer excitement in the closing minutes the huge crowd got their money’s worth.

Frank Murphy was majestic at full back for the Saints, and he was pitted against the lively Daniel Molden who was easily Glanmire’s best forward.

In attack Vincent’s had the best forward on view in Jonathan Buckley, who won a junior All-Ireland medal with Cork in 2005. However, Glanmire battled superbly all through and showed commendable composure in clawing their way back to take the lead at the three quarter stage.

Backed by a massive following, Vincent’s got off to the perfect start with a Derek O’Connor point after just 45 seconds, and after Michael Cussen levelled the game in the second minute, the city side began to pick up most of the breaking ball around midfield and were full value for their 0-3 to 0-1 lead at the end of the opening quarter.

Both sides concentrated on the short passing game, which played into the hands of the respective defences, but the Saints were fortunate not to concede a goal in the 20th minute when Daniel Molden slipped past his marker. His shot went harmlessly wide.

Vincent’s were almost totally reliant on Jonathan Buckley in attack and he kicked a glorious point on the run which stretched his side’s lead to three points coming up the interval before James Murphy showed his prowess as a free-taker with a point which left the northsiders 0-5 to 0-3 in front at the short whistle.

The second half developed into a tremendous contest as Glanmire upped the ante with two excellent points from James Murphy; with Vincent’s struggling to win any worthwhile ball around midfield, the Riverstown side drew level for the second time with a Paul Meaney point.

As the tension mounted so did the mistakes, and both sides were guilty of giving away possession far too easily before Daniel Molden gave Glanmire the lead for the first time in the game with a point.

Vincent’s were now struggling alarmingly to get out of their own half, and they were grateful for some excellent defending by Frank Murphy and Walter McCarthy, before they finally broke out and Gavin O’Connor pointed superbly from 45 metres out to tie the game again.

It was an inspirational score and when Derek O’Connor added another point to restore the Saints’ lead, it looked to be their day. However Glanmire, who could well be called the draw specialists after being involved in four in the last two years, were not to be denied, and James Murphy was coolness personified as he lined up a 45 metre free before slotting it over and sending his side into yet another replay.

Scorers: St. Vincent’s: D. O’Connor, G. O’Connor (frees), J. Buckley 0-2 each; C. Barry, JP Murphy 0-1 each. Glanmire: J. Murphy 0-4 (0-3 frees); M. Cussen, K. Murphy, P. Meaney, D. Molden 0-1 each.

ST. Vincent’s: P. O’Shea; T. O’Connell, F. Murphy, W. Murphy; W. McCarthy, A. Fenton, J. O’Callaghan; S. Ray, D. O’Connell; J. Buckley, G. O’Connor, J. Canniffe; C. Barry, A. Buckley, D. O’Connor.

Subs: JP Murphy for Canniffe; K. Goulding for Barry; K. O’Sullivan for G. O’Connor.

GLANMIRE: M. Byrne; D. Kenneally, P. Hanley, C. Mulvihill; D. O’Connell, R. Ryan, F. O’Reilly; D. O’Connell, M. Cussen; B. O’Callaghan, K. Murphy, K. Mulvihill; P. Meaney, D. Molden, J. Murphy.

Subs: S. Knowles for O’Reilly; B. Kirby for O’Connell.

Referee: M. Collins (Clonakilty).

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day. PS ... We would love to hear your feedback on the section right HERE.


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day. PS ... We would love to hear your feedback on the section right HERE.