Glen strike early to take control against Delanys

A FEW short years ago, when they won the Intermediate title for the first time, a rosy future beckoned for Delanys.

Or so it seemed.

Alas, however, the rich promise has remained unfulfilled as evidenced by last night’s 10 point defeat by Glen Rovers in the Evening Echo Cork Co SHC first round at Church Road.

Things went horribly wrong from the start for Delanys when they allowed their next-door neighbours to open up a 1-6 lead and although they then strove diligently to come within range, they were chasing shadows.

John Anderson was the main architect of Delany’s downfall. With some exquisite striking, Anderson converted three frees before bursting through to goal in the 14th minute.

Already there was daylight between the sides before Barry Egan had Delany’s first score, a point from a 65, in the 22nd minute. Egan’s opener sparked a spirited revival by Delanys and with the former Cork player Mark O’Driscoll and Mark McElhinney all pointing from play, the deficit was reduced to five points before Anderson with another pointed from free, left the Glen leading by 1-7 to 0-4 at the interval.

In what was essentially a very mediocre affair, the Glen, with David Cunningham doing well at centre-back, Shane Kennefick, most economical and effective at midfield, and Anderson sublime in his marksmanship, never looked in danger of losing.

The Glen started the second-half as they began the first with lightning fast points from Kennefick and Anderson.

Barry Egan, Delany’s top player, got one back from a free but two from Anderson, who finished with a tally of 1-8, and another from Seanie McGrath powered the Glen into a 10 points lead entering the closing quarter.

Delany’s did receive a semblance of a lifeline when they were awarded a penalty in the 46th minute but James Egan’s conversion attempt went over for a point.

Then his brother Barry sent over a 65 and another point from free to leave seven points between them entering the final stages.

This flurry of points proved to be the last hurrah for Delanys, however, and the Glen, with three points without reply from Anderson, substitute Diarmuid Dorris and Patrick Hayes, ran out the most convincing of winners.

Scorers: Glen Rovers: J Anderson 1-8 (0-7 frees, 0-1 65); S Kennefick, S McGrath 0-2 each; K O’Callaghan, D Dorris, P Horgan 0-1 each. Delanys: B Egan 0-5 (0-3 frees, 0-1 65); M O'Driscoll, M McElhinney, J Egan (free) 0-1 each.

GLEN ROVERS: D Hourihan, G Hackett, R Considine, A Dullea, L Leahy, D Cunningham, P O’Brien, S Kennefick, J Anderson, D Cronin, G Calnan, K O’Callaghan, P Horgan, R Rice, S McGrath.

Subs: S Hayes for Leahy; D Dorris for McGrath.

DELANYS: V O’Brien, R Foley, K O’Sullivan, R O’Mahony, P Finnegan, J Cooney, C Foley, J Egan, P O’Connell, K Foley, D McElhinney, M O’Driscoll, B Egan, M McElhinney, E Cullinane.

Subs: T Kiely for Cooney (inj.); G O’Mahony for Cullinane.

Referee: G Harrington (Carrigaline).

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Execution Time: 0.223 s