Kelly denies attempted poaching of GPA players

THE GAA will not be pressurising anyone to join a new official players’ body according to the Association’s President Sean Kelly.

Mr Kelly stressed that anything the GAA did with regard to the new group would be done in the interest of the players.

Last week the chief executive of the GPA, Dessie Farrell, claimed that county boards had approached players to go forward for election to a proposed official players’ group, describing the move as ‘undemocratic and underhand’.

However Mr Kelly refuted the notion that the GAA were head hunting players to join the new body.

“We won’t be pressurising anyone to do anything,” he insisted yesterday. “We are not putting pressure on anyone and anything we do, we do it with the interest of the players in mind.”

GPA boss Farrell described such intentions as ‘admirable’ but he preferred to adopt a wait-and-see policy on the matter.

“We will have to wait and see Numerous players have come back to us saying that they were contacted by county board officials about running for this new body without the knowledge of fellow players. This is not the way to do business.”

However he stressed that the issue must be handled carefully by all parties. “The one thing we don’t want is a mexican stand-off between the GAA, the GPA and Sean Kelly on this matter.”

He added that the GPA is set to copper fasten it’s position in the world of gaelic games.

“We are a separate entity and we are continuing to go from strength to strength. In the very short term we are set to announce a number of new initiatives which will be of benefit not just to members but to all GAA supporters,” he said.

The GAA President joined the Sports Minister, John O’Donoghue, on his home patch of Caherciveen yesterday when he announced a grant of 1,340,000 from the Irish Sports Council to the GAA for their 2003 programmes aimed at increasing young people’s participation in gaelic sports.

“The three major field sports organisations, the GAA, IRFU and FAI, were identified as having the capacity to deliver programmes that would make a significant impact on participation rates amongst our young people,” he said. “Including this year, 12.5m has been allocated to date to these three organisations for participation initiatives for young people. This significant investment of state money in sport is making a major contribution to the development of sport for young people.

“The GAA is a unique organisation. It is organised in every parish in the country and provides communities with a strong sporting and cultural outlet. The Association’s existing infrastructure, facilities, organisation, coaches and volunteers make it eminently suitable for substantial investment in programmes for young people.”

Meanwhile Tyrone have cancelled all club matches prior to their Bank of Ireland All-Ireland SFC semi-final meeting with Kerry at Croke Park on Sunday, August 21.

A request from manager Mickey Harte to put the start of the county senior championship on hold has been acceded to by the Tyrone county board.

Harte revealed yesterday that all his players came through Sunday’s mauling of Fermanagh unscathed and stated, “we have a clean bill of health at the moment and I want to ensure that we avoid the risk of injury in the run up to the Kerry game.”

Surprisingly however, Armagh have decided to go ahead with their county championships before their semi final clash with Galway at Croke Park on August 31.

A full programme of championship games have been arranged for the coming weekend and manager Joe Kernan said yesterday that he was ‘apprehensive’ about the situation.

No fewer than 16 members of Kernan’s squad will be in action with their respective clubs over the weekend. Ronan Clarke, Padraigh Duffy, Kieran Hughes and Simon Maxwell will be lining out for Pearse Óg.

Paul McCormack plays for Keady, Stephen McDonnell for Killeady, Aidan O’Rourke for Dromalee, Paul McGrane and Paddy McKeever for Ballyhegan and Diarmuid Marsden for Clann na Gael.

Paul Hearty, Francie Bellew, the McEntee twins, John and Tony, and Oisin McConville, will all be involved with Crossmaglen Rangers in their big South Armagh local-derby with Mullaghbawn.

‘Find of the season’ Philip Loughran lines out for his club Claddy in the Armagh junior championship.

Kernan now must play a waiting game as he prepares for their championship meeting with either Donegal or Galway. “We have a clean bill of health at the moment and hopefully that situation will not have changed when I wake up on Monday morning.”

More in this section

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited