Ballyduff teams banned for referee assault
It arises from the incidents in their recent Kerry senior hurling championship semi-final against Kilmoyley, in which referee Gearóid O'Regan was assaulted.
Additionally, a fine of €2,000 was imposed on the club, lengthy suspensions were imposed on four players, another player/supporter was expelled from membership, while two named supporters received life bans from participating in GAA activities. The club will also be required to put up a bond of €5,000 for the next three years, with notice given that this will be forfeited in the event of any major breach of the rules or misbehaviour by any Ballyduff players, officials or supporters at any level within the county over the period.
Before announcing the findings, the Chairman formally condemned the incidents in the game and the assaults on the referee following the game. What had happened was "shocking and disgraceful", he said and had no place in their Association.
The Executive had recommended that all the club's teams, including minors, be banned from competition. However, after a plea from club delegate Michael Slattery and the support of a number of delegates, Chairman Sean Walsh said that they would take these views on board. In doing so, he pointed out Ballyduff had co-operated in their investigation.
Suspensions of 96 weeks each were imposed on the following Ballyduff players for striking the referee: Declan Bowler, Kenneth Boyle, Mark Houlihan, and Anthony O'Grady.
David Enright, reported for kicking the referee and described as a player/supporter, was expelled from the Association, while Ballyduff supporters Cormac Enright and Pa Kennelly were barred from attending or participating in GAA activities.
Earlier in the meeting, Mr Walsh responded to criticism that the area for accommodating substitutes in Croke Park was too far back from the pitch where they could be subjected to verbal abuse by opposing supporters. This was raised in relation to the recent All-Ireland semi-final against Tyrone.
Bord na nÓg Chairman John Foley expressed his 'sadness' after recommendations on suspensions relating to an under-age game were not adopted by the County Board. However, he was assured that the recommendations were 'still standing, but that at the request of Shannon Rangers, they would investigate the procedures under which the recommended suspensions were made'.
Recommendations on match presentations were adopted. A maximum eight mentor/selector/medical personnel will be allowed on the sideline, team managers will be required to wear distinctive tops and all substitutes will be confined to the dug-out. Juveniles will not be used as water boys/hurley carriers and players will not be allowed to engaged in ball practice during the half-time interval.
Dates for the county senior championship were confirmed, with the hurling final (Kilmoyley v Lixnaw) going ahead on October 5 and the football decider (Gaeltacht v Laune Rangers) the following week.
From December, all official correspondence will be conveyed through e-mail.
*At the outset, the Chairman voiced a complaint that after the last meeting of the Board a number of facts were reported incorrectly in the media the following day. He warned those (media) present that a repeat of this would result in all other meetings being held in camera.





