Hurling finals live up to great expectations

THE curtain fell on this year's Sciath na Scol hurling finals yesterday when the concluding eight finals were decided at Páirc Uí Chaoimh and Pairc Uí Rinn.


ST ANTHONY'S looked the better team in the early minutes of the premier

final and it was reflected on the scoreboard after Conor Kilcoyne scored 1-1.

However the Mon with Pól Mac Oitir lording it at midfield, came storming back and four marvellous points by MacOitir had the sides level at the beak.

The second half developed into a rousing contest as the Mon forged three points clear, but the game took a dramatic turn in St Anthonys favour when Conor Kilcoyne and Derry Nagle scored a goal apiece and in a welter of excitement, the Ballinlough side hung on for a thrilling 3-2 to 1-7



ST JOSEPH'S Cobh made the early running and led by two points after five minutes, but when Adam McCarthy's long-range effort found the net, Millstreet were back in business and went on to lead 1-1 to 0-2 at the break. The second half was very much a one-sided affair as Millstreet, superbly led by outstanding midfielders Mark Ellis and David McCaul, took control, and goals by Gerard Cullinane and Tim Fitzgerald ensured a deserved win for the boys from Duhallow.

Final score: 2-6 to 1-3.


THERE were so many superb moments in this final it's hard to know where to begin. A hat-trick by Colin Lafan in the first half looked to put Rushbrooke into an unassailable lead.

However, the Mayfield lads made a tremendous second half recovery and a hat-trick by outstanding midfielder Eoghan Ó Flaithearta gave them the spoils. Another high of this marvellous final was the magnificent goalkeeping by Fanahan Mac Suibhne and Peter O'Halloran.

Final score: 4-4 to 3-4


IT was fitting that this year's finals should end on a thrilling note. Both these sides served up a marvellous match that swung one way and then the other before the greater stickwork of the Cloughduv boys, and in particular Colm Ryan and Cillian McDonnell proved decisive.

Credit to St Lachteens who made the early running with a Colm O'Callaghan goal, and when Gerry Lucey added another the Duhallow lads looked like they would cause an upset.

However, Killian McDonnell raced through for a goal which restored the advantage to the mid Cork side and they finished with two excellent points from Colm Ryan.

Final score: 3-3 to 2-2.


BALLINTOTIS won their first Sciath na Scol final with a splendid victory over Knockraha at Pairc Uí Chaoimh. A goal in each half from Fergal Duffy proved decisive.

Excellent goalkeeping by David Barry and good defending by team captain Jamie O'Mahony were other factors in the East Cork school's win.

Final score: 2-3 to 0-1.


UPPER GLANMIRE laid the foundations for their splendid victory over Innishannon with a fine first half performance at the end of which they led 1-6 to a goal. Ciaran O'Sullivan sparked a revival by the Innishannon side, but Upper Glanmire nipped it in the bud with a succession of points from Alan Barry and they held on for a deserved victory.

Final score: 1-9 to 2-1.


AGHABULLOGUE maintained their excellent record in finals with a comfortable victory over Conna. Goals by John Buckley and Thomas Barrett who also knocked over three points, two from 65s, which were matched by two similar scores from Ronan Clancy on the Conna side, ensured the title remained in mid Cork for another season.

Final score: 2-6 to 0-4


CARRAIG na bhFEAR were forced to defend resolutely in the second half

of this camogie final before taking the title by the narrowest of margins.

Carraig led 1-1 to a goal at half time and while there was no further scoring, there was no shortage of goalmouth thrills before the final whistle brought huge relief for the Carraig girls after Kilcredan had thrown everything at them to save the day.

Final score: 1-1 to 1-0.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up