Galvin goal powers Finuge to deserved All-Ireland glory

Finuge (Kerry) 1-14 Stewartsown (Tyrone) 0-6

Galvin and Kerry team-mate Eamonn Fitzmaurice were both inspirational figures as the Kerry side built on a strong first-half display.

In the process, they prevented Ulster champions Stewartstown from ever being able to mount a serious challenge, ensuring Leeds-born goalkeeper John Coleman of being the first captain to lift the trophy.

Finuge's right to be champions was as good as guaranteed after Galvin went through for his goal 18 minutes into the second half. It stretched their lead to eight points and enabled them to dominate the rest of the game.

Club stalwart Eamonn Breen, sidelined by suspension, never doubted their ability to win, commenting: "we were the better team, we could have won by much more."

Eamonn Fitzmaurice attributed their win to the way they 'upped' their performance level for the second half. "It's great for the club and I would put it up there with any All-Ireland medal I have won," he said.

Paul Galvin's excellent display allowed him to savour the win all the more. "I was waiting long enough for one medal and now I have two," he remarked.

Finuge made the better start, going two points clear inside five minutes and it helped them to settle quickly and make the early running. They were to win control through very solid defending, to which Eamonn Fitzmaurice made a major contribution, and a more mobile midfield, where Conor Galvin was most effective.

Paul Galvin was regularly involved in their attacking movements and his strong, incisive running from the half-forward line continually troubled the Stewartstown defence.

The Tyrone side saw little enough of the ball in attack, especially after centre-forward Peter Armour got their opening score from an 11th minute free and then kicked a few balls aimlessly into the air.

They adopted an initial strategy of using just two forwards inside and at times full-back Trevor McKenna was left on his own. Overall, that the tactic didn't work for the reason that Finuge's advantage wasn't curtailed at either end.

What did limit them was some bad shooting at times when they were exerting a strong grip on the play. Enda Galvin went through in the 22nd minute but kicked straight at the keeper while Paul Galvin saw a well-directed kick came back off the upright.

And, approaching half-time a mistake by Conor Galvin led to the Stewartstown captain John Galvin kicking a good score.

It meant that Finuge's interval lead was a mere two points, 0-6 to 0-4, which certainly didn't reflect the amount of possession they enjoyed.

Whatever slim chance Stewartstown had of recovering was made even more difficult when they conceded four points within ten minutes of the resumption.

Three of them came from Paul Galvin and the other from cousin Enda, who put in a workmanlike performance at centre-forward. During this period the Tyrone side came nearest to getting a goal when Armour carried the ball into the goalmouth, but an attempted pass was intercepted.

Crucial to the Kerry side's continuing control was the dependability of their backs under pressure, with Pat Corridan very much to the forefront on occasions.

Further out, Eamonn Fitzmaurice continued to exert a strong influence on the game, while Paul Galvin's menacing play in attack, complemented by his support in defence on occasions, made him invaluable.

His goal came after his alert play saw him win clean possession 40 yards out and score with a shot which went in off the far upright.

After that, Finuge were never under pressure and they coasted all the way to the finish.

The refereeing of Martin Duffy was very impressive.

Scorers for Finuge: P. Galvin 1-7 (0-4 frees); E. Galvin and M. Corridan 0-2 each; P. Lyons, C. Galvin (free) and E. Fitzmaurice 0-1 each.

Stewartstown: P. Armour 0-3 (0-1 free); O. Coyle, A. Coyle and J. Devlin 0-1 each.

FINUGE: J. Coleman (capt.); M. Quilter, T. McKenna, P. Corridan; P. Lyons, E. Fitzmaurice, M. Cronin; M. Corridan, C. Galvin; P. Galvin, E. Galvin, J. Corridan; J. Griffin, M. Conway, R. Galvin.

Subs: C. Fitzmaurice for Conway (34th minute); R. Thornton for J. Corridan (48th); F. Fitzmaurice for R. Galvin (50th); G. Galvin for Griffin (55th); C. Allen for Quilter (56th).

STEWARTSTOWN: J. Campbell; W. Conlon, P. Donnelly, P. Gahan; N. Park, A. Devlin, C. Devlin; J. Devlin, K. Park; G. Devlin, P. Armour, O. Coyle; M. Mulgrew, B. Kelly, E. Laverty.

Subs: P. Dillon for Kelly (34th); F. Logan for Park (41st); A. Coyle for Laverty (52nd).

Referee: M. Duffy (Sligo).

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day. PS ... We would love to hear your feedback on the section right HERE.


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day. PS ... We would love to hear your feedback on the section right HERE.