Joe Calzaghe’s postponed showdown with Roy Jones Jr has been rescheduled for November 8 and will take place at New York’s prestigious Madison Square Garden.
A wrist injury suffered by the unbeaten Welsh two-weight world champion last month forced the original September 20 date to be put back.
The fight, which was originally billed as 36-year-old Calzaghe’s ’farewell’ bout, will now go ahead less than two months later than originally scheduled and will be shown on American pay-TV network HBO and on Setanta in the UK.
Calzaghe said: “I can’t wait to get back to America and triumph over another boxing legend.”
Dethroned pound-for-pound champion Jones (52-4, 38KOs), whose stock has fallen significantly since a shocking 2004 defeat by Antonio Tarver, said: “I’m just glad to be blessed with the opportunity to be God’s instrument that he plays his beautiful music through and I just can’t wait for November 8.”
Calzaghe is the longest reigning champion in his sport, having defended the WBO belt 21 times, four short of the all-time record for consecutive defences held by heavyweight great Joe Louis.
But his career has been increasingly hampered by hand injuries and the sprained wrist suffered in training last month is the latest in a line of frustrating problems for the London-born, Newbridge-based southpaw.
Calzaghe and four-weight world champion Jones will share promotional duties for the fight after the Welshman’s acrimonious recent split with Frank Warren’s Sports Network.
While Calzaghe had insisted the Jones fight would be his last, a meeting with undisputed middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik remains a possibility, with the American moving up to face veteran Bernard Hopkins – who lost to Calzaghe in April – at light-heavyweight in October.