Calzaghe 'distraught' by injury

Joe Calzaghe has been left "distraught" after a sprained wrist forced him to postpone September's eagerly-anticipated bout with Roy Jones Jr at Madison Square Garden.

Joe Calzaghe has been left "distraught" after a sprained wrist forced him to postpone September's eagerly-anticipated bout with Roy Jones Jr at Madison Square Garden.

The pair were due to face off in a light-heavyweight fight at New York's famous venue on September 20 but the Briton injured his right wrist while hitting pads in training and has been forced to postpone, probably until November.

"He sprained his wrists on the pads," Enzo Calzaghe told Setanta Sports News. "It's one of those things you never want to happen, but it's happened.

"When he woke up in the morning with a swollen wrist, I looked at it and it looked awful.

"It is a sad thing it happened and he needs two or three weeks off before he starts punching again.

"Everybody's gutted about it - Joe's absolutely distraught. What can you do about it? You've got to have common sense in this game.

"At the end of the day, at this level, you need to be safe."

A source close to Calzaghe insisted the problem is "not career-threatening" and he saw a consultant yesterday in an attempt to determine the extent of the damage.

Talks began almost immediately with Jones Jnr's representatives, American pay-per-view channel HBO and officials from the venue in order to set a new date for the contest.

It appears Calzaghe, who last month split with long-time promoter Frank Warren, will finally get to face the four-weight world champion in November.

"We're trying to reschedule for November, and that works for them, so the injury must be something they feel will heal sufficiently by then," John Wirt, chief executive of Jones Jnr's promotional company Square Ring, told ESPN.

"Roy is disappointed but he's looking forward to the fight being rescheduled.

"But this may be a blessing in disguise because it gives us more time to promote the fight. We were under the gun putting everything together quickly."

The original date of the bout was not confirmed until July 12.

The fight with Jones Jr was widely expected to be Calzaghe's last before retirement, but he has refused to relinquish his WBO super-middleweight title ahead of the contest and last week suggested he could take on Kelly Pavlik at 12 stone next year.

The 36-year-old Welshman is the longest reigning champion in his sport, having defended the WBO belt 21 times, four short of the all-time record for consecutive defences held by heavyweight great Joe Louis.

Calzaghe is unbeaten in 45 fights and last took to the ring against American veteran Bernard Hopkins in a light-heavyweight fight in Las Vegas in April.

The Ring Magazine belt he claimed by beating Hopkins on points was to have been on the line against four-weight champion Jones Jr, with both fighters taking a 50% cut of the purse.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up