A compact, c 1,000 sq ft Victorian chapel by the entrance to the former 1,000’ long Our Lady’s Hospital, Cork is coming to market with a guide price for €250,000, via agent John O’Mahony of O’Mahony Walsh, Ballincollig.
Set just above the Lee Road, and looking down on the Lee river and the UCC Environmental Research Labs, the stone-built chapel with brick interior is on its own site of under an acre, and may be sold on a smaller footprint for new uses that could include residential commercial, restaurant/cafe or other purposes, subject to planning permission.
In its favour is the fact it is stand-alone, and its relatively compact size might narrow the scope of a costly conservation budget. Our Lady’s was designed immediately post-Famine by by architect William Atkins, and opened in 1853 as the District Lunatic Asylum.
Our Lady’s was wound down in the 1980s, and although UCC showed some initial purchase interest it was sold with 50 acres in 1995 by the then-Southern Health Board for £910,000 to Dublin-based Lance Investments.
Some elements of the Our Lady’s complex have since been sold off, such as a number of apartments, town houses, mews houses and stables conversions and the old gate lodge by the Lee Road is now in commercial use, occupied by agriculture advisors the Brady Group.
The chapel is next to that lodge, and there may be separate plans/hopes to develop a small number of houses to the west, subject to planning.
Previous planning was granted for a conversion of this chapel to bar/bistro/restaurant use, in the mid 2000s.
It’s been unoccupied since, many of its leaded and stained glass windows have been damaged and apart from a belfry its interior is one large volume with vaulted pitch pine ceilings, tiled floors, polychrome brick walls with limestone gothic window surrounds, limestone corbels, and cills, etc.
O’Mahony Walsh, 021-4873466