Micheál Martin to meet Irish troops in Lebanon on Sunday
Troops of the 124th Infantry Battalion.
As tensions escalate on the southern Lebanese border between Hezbollah and Israel, Tánaiste and Defence Minister Micheál Martin will meet Irish troops in Lebanon on Sunday.
Mr Martin will also meet with the Lebanese defence and foreign affairs ministers to push the government for progress on Private Seán Rooney’s murder case, which he said has been too slow.
Mr Martin said defence forces in Lebanon are working in extremely difficult circumstances as concerns escalate that the Israel-Gaza conflict could erupt in southern Lebanon, where Iranian-backed Hezbollah militants, who act independently of the Lebanese government, have a stronghold.
Crossfire attacks have become more frequent, striking the United Nations Interim Force Lebanon (UNIFIL) camps where Irish peacekeepers are stationed and the surrounding areas.
Peacekeepers there now have to shelter in bunkers multiple times a day due to active warfare.
The war in Gaza is mirrored in southern Lebanon where Hezbollah militants attack Israeli targets just across the southern border in retaliation for violence in Gaza.
Mr Martin will travel to Camp Shamrock (UNP 2-45) to greet members of the 124th Infantry Battalion serving with UNIFIL on Sunday.
UNIFIL represents Ireland’s largest overseas deployment. Mr Martin recently approved deployment of an additional platoon of 33 Irish troops to serve with the Irish Battalion.
The 124th Infantry Battalion deploys in two rounds — on May 16 and May 24 with some 341 personnel — 332 Irish and nine Maltese. They will rotate with and replace the 123rd Infantry Battalion.
Ahead of the visit, Mr Martin said: “I am very much looking forward to meeting our peacekeepers who serve with such distinction in UNIFIL, and in a very challenging environment amid escalating tensions due to the war in Gaza.
“We recently reaffirmed our continuing support to UNIFIL and the important role it plays in de-escalation in the south of Lebanon, through an increased force protection element to the battalion.
“The dedication of Defence Force personnel and their families is a vital part of Ireland’s commitment to global peace and security. Nowhere is this engagement more evident than in south Lebanon.”
Upon arrival at Camp Shamrock, Mr Martin will receive an honour guard from Defence Forces personnel, meet UN and Irish military leaders, and address Irish troops.

Mr Martin will meet with Lebanese defence minister Maurice Sleem and foreign affairs minister Abdallah BouHabib on Monday morning. It is his second visit to Beirut following the death of Pte Rooney.
Mr Martin said: “A central focus of my visit will be meeting with Lebanese ministers to communicate the absolute determination of the Irish Government to ensure those responsible for Private Rooney’s death are brought to justice.”
Pte Rooney, aged 24, from Donegal, was killed when the UN jeep he and three other colleagues were in was fired on late at night on December 14, 2022, near Sidon, about 50km south of Beirut.
Pte Rooney was the 48th Irish soldier to die in Lebanon.
Private Shane Kearney, 22, from Cork, was also badly injured in the ambush.
Mr Martin said last week that he was not happy with the way the trial had been conducted so far.
The main suspect, Mohammad Ayyad, never appeared at a military tribunal hearing last December, citing medical reasons. His medical report was accepted by the court and the hearing was postponed until June 2024.
Hezbollah has repeatedly denied any role in the killing.
Mr Martin is accompanied by the secretary general of the Department of Defence, Jacqui McCrum, and the chief of staff of the Defence Forces, Lieutenant General Seán Clancy.
Lt Gen Clancy has been appointed the first Irish chair of the European Union Military Committee. It is the most powerful EU military body and directs all military activity by the EU.
Lt Gen Clancy, will be promoted to full general due to the role, becoming the first man of such rank in the country’s military since Eoin O’Duffy in 1924.



