The Slieve Russell Hotel has been closed after an outbreak of the winter vomiting bug.
The HSE were told by the four-star hotel that staff and customers at the establishment in Ballyconnell, Co Cavan, started suffering from vomiting and diarrhoea.
A spokesperson for the HSE confirmed that the outbreak was caused by the norovirus infection.
The Executive had to close the hotel down last night for a deep-clean of all surfaces and furnishings.
It comes as the hotel, once owned by Seán Quinn’s family, is busy with weddings at this time of year.
The HSE issued a statement saying: "There is currently a high incidence of this infection in the community in Ireland and outbreaks have been noted in hospitals, residential care homes and schools throughout the country.
"In order to achieve this, the hotel has closed. It will re-open as soon as all possible environmental sources of the virus have been disinfected.
"The HSE and hotel management deeply regret the inconvenience this closure will cause to patrons of the Slieve Russell but consider this action as necessary to safeguard public health."
The owners of the Slieve Russell hotel said they are doing everything they can to find alternative arrangements for anyone who has booked with them.
The y said: "We deeply regret any inconvenience caused to our guests by the temporary closure of the hotel as a precautionary measure due to an outbreak of the Norovirus, which has been prevalent in Cavan in recent weeks.
"We thank our guests for their patience and support while we complete a range of actions to safeguard all who visit or work at our premises. We appreciate that this decision will the disrupt plans of guests who have booked events with us and we are making every effort to find alternative venues to minimise the inconvenience caused.
"We will continue to work closely with the HSE and the Environmental Health Officers and will advise as soon as possible when the hotel will be reopening."