9,600 calls are made to the National Poisons Information Centre each year, with 56% of them relating to children under 10.
It is the 50th anniversary of the centre at Dublin’s Beaumont Hospital, and parents are being reminded to keep household detergents out of reach and locked away from children.
A group of award-winning students from Youth Reach Carlow are also asking us to Pick up Your Poison, especially dog poo and cigarette butts.
Paracetamol poisoning is the most common in all age groups, but detergent capsules are a major cause for concern among children in particular.
Professor of Paediatrics Alf Nicholson treats children who have been poisoned in Temple Street Hospital.
He said: "It can cause significant burns in the mouth and oesophagus, which can be very serious. We would advise parents to be extremely vigilant about liquid detergent."
As part of Poisons Awareness day, a group of students from Carlow Youth Reach gave a presentation on their project Pick up your Poison.
They worked with the National Poisons Centre to examine the dangers of cigarette butts and dog mess.
Andrea Carroll says they are items you can’t help but see everywhere.
Johnny O’Leary says local school kids were shocked to learn of the dangers, including that dog faeces can cause blindness.