A security guard for a fast food outlet lost his job in a dispute over sick leave after he was attacked by a gang of youths, Dublin Circuit Criminal Court has heard.
His attacker, John Paul Maughan (aged 20), a Dublin Youth Championship boxer, was sentenced to three and half years for this and other offences.
Maughan of Kilternan Road, Cabra pleaded guilty to assaulting Mubashir Khalid Awan on O’Connell Street, carriage in a stolen car at Marlborough Street and two charges of robbery between March 16 2009 and September 11, 2010.
The court heard that in the first robbery, an Iranian man had finished his shift at Papa’s Pizzas on Talbot Street at 1.50am and was walking to his parked car on Marlborough Street. He was followed by two men including Maughan who produced a knife with a three-inch blade and told him to give them money.
The victim was scared, ran away and dropped his car keys which the two attackers used to take his car. They were subsequently involved in a high-speed garda chase.
In the second robbery Maughan was part of a gang that surrounded a man who was sitting with his girlfriend in the Italian Quarter near Dublin’s Millennium Bridge and robbed him after telling him they had a Stanley knife.
Maughan’s 26 previous convictions include public order, theft, handling stolen property, criminal damage and stealing a car.
Garda Brendan McCorry told Mr Maurice Coffey BL, prosecuting, that Mr Awan was a Pakistani national working as a security guard at McDonald’s restaurant on Upper O’Connell Street. Shortly before midnight he noticed a security guard in difficulty in another fast food outlet across the street.
He had crossed the street to the Burger King restaurant where the other man was working when a group of men began punching him around the face. The victim was dragged onto the street and punched on the ground and a pint glass was smashed into his head.
Judge Patricia Ryan was told that after the attack both the victim’s eyes were left completely closed up and his face was severely bruised.
His speech was affected as a result of a swollen jaw and Mr Awan had to avoid telephoning his family in Pakistan for a month which was upsetting for both them and him.
In a victim impact statement Mr Awan described how he suffered headaches and dizziness. He sees a psychologist for counselling and he often wakes up in the middle of the night shouting and screaming.
Gda McCorry said Mr Awan was unable to work for three weeks and has since lost his job as a result of a dispute over sick leave in a civil matter which is before the courts.
When he was arrested Mr Maughan admitted his part in the attack, telling Gda Corry: “We all hopped on top of them and then started battering them. There were two of them, two Paki’s”
He said that he had taken head shop drugs for the first time that night which had made him “hyper”.
Mr Luigi Rea BL, defending, said that his client had been a talented athlete and had won medals for boxing in the Dublin Youth Championship and Dublin Boys Championship.
He also played GAA football with St. Finbar’s club in Cabra and has trained with Cabra Boxing Club.
Maughan told the judge that he is engaged to be married and then he hopes eventually to move to Co Mayo and to “get away from Dublin and from drugs” and to go back to boxing training.
Judge Ryan took into account the fact that Maughan has made efforts to rehabilitate and address his offending behaviour. She imposed a three and half year sentence with the final 12 months suspended on strict conditions.