Gardaí name three dead from Monaghan car crash

Gardaí have named the three people killed in a road crash in Co Monaghan last night.

Gardaí have named the three people killed in a road crash in Co Monaghan last night.

They were 28-year-old Glen Curtis from Dunroe, Nobber in Co Meath, 27-year-old Paul Carroll from Dunheeda in Kingscourt, Co Cavan and 39-year-old Roisin Connolly, who was five months pregnant with her first child, from Gracepark Road in Drumcondra, Dublin.

She was travelling with her husband towards Dublin when their Seat Toledo collided head-on with a BMW carrying four men.

The three-car collision happened at around 6.30pm last night on the N2 Dublin Road near Carrickmacross.

Three men were also injured - two of them are in a critical condition at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda.

The road remains closed with diversions in place while a technical examination is carried out.

Forensic investigators are piecing together the final movements of three cars before they collided, leaving another person fighting for their life and two others injured.

A family of four, including two young children in car seats, were in the third car involved in the collision and escaped with minor injuries.

Garda Superintendent Noel Cunningham described the crash as a horrific occurrence and appealed for witnesses to come forward.

“We send our condolences to the families and extended families who are affected by this horrendous incident which has occurred, and which has sent a ripple affect right through the community,” he said.

The stretch of road remained closed throughout the day as the Garda air support unit, scenes of crime officers and technical collision investigators determined the exact cause of the accident.

Officers said while recent snow and ice had thawed on the main bypass, it was raining at the time.

“There is no indication of any ice, slush or snow on the road, but there was heavy rain at the time,” said Supt Cunningham.

Councillor PJ O’Hanlon, chair of Carrickmacross Town Council, said the community was numb following the tragedy.

“People woke up this morning to this tragic and devastating news and they are in shock,” he said.

“Everybody is just in a daze walking about.”

More in this section