Fire probe gardaí search Wicklow council offices

Gardai have carried out searches at the offices of Wicklow County Council today, as part of the investigation into a fire which killed two firemen.

The offices of Wicklow County Council were today raided by gardaí probing the deaths of two-part-time firefighters.

Mark O’Shaughnessy, 26, and Brian Murray, 46, were killed when the roof of a disused building in Bray collapsed on them in September 2007.

Gardai said the searches began shortly after 10am at the complex in Wicklow town.

The Health and Safety Authority said it was aware of the operation and was cooperating with the investigation.

An inquest into the men’s death has been adjourned several times at Dublin County Coroner’s Court and is not due to be heard again until November.

Three people have been arrested and questioned by gardaí over the blaze, including at least one senior fire officer.

The families of the two firefighters have been fighting for reform of the fire services in the county since the men’s deaths.

They believe there was a delay in responding to the blaze on Lower Dargle Road as it was out of control by the time the two men arrived at the scene.

Mr Murray, a 10-year veteran of Bray’s retained fire service, had warned superiors just three weeks before his death of dangerous practices in the service.

He wrote to the county’s Assistant Chief Fire Officer, Joanne O’Connor, after office workers were asked to check a blaze themselves before firefighters were called out.

It is understood the raid was launched to recover files and computer data.

Sinn Féin’s John Brady welcomed the search but called for an independent inquiry into the deaths.

“We firmly believe that the current investigation will not get to the heart of what is rotten in the fire services here in Wicklow,” the county councillor said

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence