Heroin addict jailed for attack on Chinese national
A heroin user who threw a bottle at the face of Chinese national and left him with a risk of having long term sight difficulties has been given a three year sentence at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.
Michael "Dicer" Connors (aged 25) previously of Sheelin Avenue, Ballybrack,, pleaded guilty to assaulting Mr Zhang Wei causing him harm at Eglinton Service Station, Cabinteeley, on October 30, 2004.
O'Connors, who now lives in hostels, has 45 previous convictions which were all dealt with in the District Court and mainly involved public order and theft offences .
Judge Katherine Delahunt said the attack had been very traumatic for his victim who had been left scarred for life and severely traumatised but noted Connors had been making effort to turn his life around.
Judge Delahunt imposed a sentence of three years and suspended the final year on conditions.
Sergeant Francis Byrne told prosecuting counsel, Mr Paul Carroll BL, that an accomplice of Connors's stole some alcohol from the service station where Mr Wei was working and put it into a waiting taxi outside.
Staff came out of the shop to get it back and a fight broke out which resulted in Mr Wei's colleague being assaulted in the forecourt.
Sgt Byrne said Mr Wei grabbed a plastic stool and went out to the assist the victim when Connors threw a glass bottle at him, which smashed on impact with his face.
Mr Wei was first taken to accident and emergency and was later transferred to an eye and ear clinic where he was found to have an injury to his eyeball which he would most likely recover from but there was "a "small risk" that he might suffer from long term difficulties with his retina.
Sgt Byrne said Mr Wei also had a cut to his left eyelid and has been left with a visible scar.
Ms Torrens told Sgt Byrne that her client wished to apologise sincerely to the victim for the injuries he inflicted. Sgt Byrne accepted that Connors had both drink and drug difficulties at the time.



