Gardaí quiz flats murder suspect

The chief suspect for the brutal killing of a 30-year-old man in a flat complex is tonight in garda custody.

The chief suspect for the brutal killing of a 30-year-old man in a flat complex is tonight in garda custody.

Officers said the 24-year-old, who was being treated at a Dublin hospital with mental health problems, has been released from medical care.

He is currently in Terenure garda station where he is being detained under section four of the Criminal Justice Act.

Michael Hughes died from multiple stab wounds after a frenzied attack at Manor Villas complex, near Mount Argus Church, Harold’s Cross, on Saturday morning.

It is believed he was stabbed repeatedly with a pair of garden shears.

It was later claimed the suspect, who was arrested at the scene, presented himself at two hospitals seeking mental health assistance in the days prior to the attack.

The Health Service Executive said it was helping gardaí with its inquiries.

Mr Hughes, of Banagher, Co Offaly, was at a friend’s engagement party in the capital on Friday night and was going back to stay at his cousin’s flat when he was attacked.

His heartbroken parents Liam and Mary Hughes said although they heard news reports of the fatal attack, they were unaware their son was the victim until more than 12 hours after his death.

His body has not yet been released and no funeral arrangements have been made.

Mr Hughes described his son as a quiet and hard-working lad and the best son that anyone could have.

The victim’s younger brother Brian, who was backpacking in Asia when he heard the devastating news, arrived home this morning.

“They are just limping along trying to come to terms with what has happened,” said Banagher parish priest Father Simon Cadam. “All their neighbours are being very supportive and people are dropping in and out to them.”

A CIE employee, Mr Hughes got engaged to his long-term girlfriend Deborah Lynch in October and the couple were planning their new life together.

They recently submitted plans to build a house in the area.

The suspect was initially taken to Sundrive Road garda station, but the following day transferred to St James’ Hospital when he fell ill.

Gardaí confirmed he was not treated for any physical injuries.

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd