Schoolboy murder: Man in court on assault charge

A man being questioned in connection with the death of schoolboy Thomas Devlin will appear in court today on an assault charge, police said.

A man being questioned in connection with the death of schoolboy Thomas Devlin will appear in court today on an assault charge, police said.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland said a 24-year-old man questioned over the 15-year-old’s death in 2005 had been charged with attempted grievous bodily harm with intent.

A PSNI spokeswoman said the charge related to an incident in Somerton Road in north Belfast on August 10, 2005 and the alleged victim was with Thomas when he was attacked.

The man will appear before Belfast Magistrates Court this morning.

Thomas was stabbed to death as he walked home along the upmarket Somerton Road with friends after buying sweets at a filling station.

When the Catholic schoolboy was nearly home, he was knifed up to five times in the back by two male attackers. One of his friends was also injured.

Two women being questioned in connection with Thomas’s death have been released today pending reports to the Public Prosecution Service.

This means the man appearing in court today is now the only one of the four men and three women arrested on Friday and Saturday still in custody.

Yesterday police questioning loyalist politician Billy Hutchinson in connection with Thomas’s death released him pending a report to the Public Prosecution Service.

Hutchinson is a former Stormont Assembly member and a leading member of the Progressive Unionist Party.

Before the latest arrest operation, 12 people had been held during the inquiry, but no one has yet been charged with the murder.

More in this section