Dublin man awaits sentence for stolen-car 'mayhem'

A Swords man who faced 12 charges arising out of "an unbelievable night of mayhem" has been remanded on bail pending sentence at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

A Swords man who faced 12 charges arising out of "an unbelievable night of mayhem" has been remanded on bail pending sentence at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

James Doyle (aged 20), of Drynam Road drove a stolen car dangerously around a north city suburban area, crashing into an unoccupied parked car and causing other drivers to take evasive action, and then damaged a garda station cell before trying to escape custody while being treated at the Mater Hospital.

He pleaded guilty to unlawful taking of a Nissan Primera car, dangerous driving in both the Berkley Road and Mountjoy Street area, three charges of criminal damage, attempted escape from lawful custody, driving while suspended, driving without insurance and a valid license and failing to produce both, on September 13, 2006.

Judge Katherine Delahunt adjourned sentencing to next December and ordered the preparation of a probation report after she heard that Doyle has since attended a drug treatment centre and has had a total attitude and behaviour change.

"It was an unbelievable night of mayhem and you are lucky to still be alive to tell the tale," she told Doyle before acknowledging that he had done "tremendous work" in his rehabilitation.

Garda Brian Quirke told Mr Noel Whelan BL, prosecuting, that Doyle refused to pull over after the stolen Nissan Primera was observed on Parnell Street and took off at high speeds, breaking numerous red lights and causing other drivers to brake heavily and skid.

Doyle also drove on the footpath at another set of lights when he met three vehicles waiting at them. He then approached a bend at high speed and lost control of the car, mounted the footpath and crashed into a parked Audi car causing €5,000 worth of damage to it and writing off the Primera.

Gda Quirke said he was amazed to see Doyle get out of the car and run away because he expected him to have sustained injuries.

He chased him and caught him a short time later, arrested him and brought him to Mountjoy Garda Station where Doyle was abusive to members of An Garda Siochana and damaged the mattress in his cell.

Gda Quirke said he then escorted him in handcuffs to the Mater Hospital after Doyle told a doctor he had taken "a substance".

While there he was verbally abusive to staff causing stress to patients, doctors and nurses. He then used a bracket to try and prise open his handcuffs but Gda Quirke caught him and secured them again.

Doyle had 33 previous convictions, mainly for road traffic, public order, assault and drug offences. He was suspended from driving for 12 months in May and December 2006 after he was convicted of drink driving.

Doyle’s mother told Ms Mairead Carey BL, defending, that since her son was diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), she and her husband got him psychiatric treatment. She said she was horrified and embarrassed when she heard the "mayhem" he had caused that night and refused to go bail for him.

When she was notified in December last year that there was a place for him in a residential drug treatment centre she agreed to pay the bail because she said she had been trying for so long to get him help for his alcohol and drug addiction but had met with nothing but bureaucracy.

She said her son has got "on extremely well" on the programme and was now dignified and respectful.

"He told me he spent the last few years in a haze of alcohol and drugs and he has now seen the error of his ways," she said.

More in this section