A former Dublin garda, who was due to be sentenced on child porn charges today, had his case adjourned for two weeks.
Conor Brough, of Wade’s Avenue, Raheny, admits possessing 23 offensive images at his home in Raheny in July 2002 contrary to the Child Trafficking and Pornography Act 1998.
Mr Brough, 44, who served in the force for over 20 years, was dismissed by Garda management during the Summer.
The defendant, who was based at Santry Garda Station, was casually dressed in Dublin District Court and sat silently with his head bowed until his case was called out.
Judge Mary Collins was told today that Mr Brough had spent the last four months receiving treatment at Dublin’s Granada Institute for Sex Offenders.
Judge Collins heard that a progress report from the Institute and a probation report were not yet available to the court.
Mr Brough’s defence solicitor said that his client was anxious for the case to be disposed of as it had been hanging over him for a long time and he had put his life on hold.
Judge Mary Collins said she needed to study the two reports before deciding on sentencing.
A hearing in April had been adjourned to allow Mr Brough to completed a four-month treatment programme at the Granada Institute.
Judge Collins then adjourned the case for mention at Dublin District Court on October 13 for presentation of the reports.
Earlier court hearings were told that detectives began an investigation into Mr Brough following a complaint in 2002 by his estranged wife.
Officers from the Garda National Bureau of Criminal Investigation searched his home on July 9, 2002 and seized a computer hard disk and two zip disks with the offensive images.
Detectives said the images were downloaded from an internet website and were “graded lower than some more serious images”.
Garda Brough had joined the force in 1983, and had served in the UN police force in the Balkans. He was suspended from duty in January 2003.