Three more detained over Drumcree violence

Three men have been detained by police as Orange Order chiefs pledge disciplinary action against members who attacked officers at Drumcree.

Three men have been detained by police as Orange Order chiefs pledge disciplinary action against members who attacked officers at Drumcree.

The arrests bring the number of men questioned in the aftermath of the latest outbreak of trouble to eight.

Thirty one police officers were injured when Orangemen rioted after being prevented from marching on the nationalist Garvaghy Road in Portadown.

Assistant Chief Constable Stephen White, the officer in charge of the security operation, says several of the troublemakers have yet to be questioned. But some of them had already been identified.

All the injured police officers taken to hospital after they were attacked with bricks and bottles have since been released.

First Minister David Trimble says the fresh violence at Drumcree had damaged hopes of a summer without violence.

After visiting an injured police officer in hospital, Mr Trimble said: "It is appalling that we have had so many police officers injured."

Mr Trimble says he does not attach any blame for the disturbances on the organisers of the parade at Drumcree, the Portadown Orange Order District Lodge.

The three men appeared in Craigavon court charged with riotous assembly.

David Cully, 43, from Gosford Gardens, Markethill, Co Armagh, Alan Cheney, 17, of Rogan Manor, Glengormley, Co Antrim, and Mark Wilson, 37, of The Beeches, Maghera, Co Londonderry, were all remanded in custody until July 25.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on
www.irishexaminer.com/podcasts

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence