Search for missing trawler called off
An Irish and British naval search for a missing trawler which disappeared in the Irish Sea with three members of the same family, is to be called off.
The British Department for Transport said tonight the search for the Tullaghmurray Lass would stop at noon tomorrow.
The trawler vanished on February 14 after leaving Kilkeel, Co Down, to fish for prawns a few miles off the coast.
The boat was on its last trip and had been due to be decommissioned.
Michael Greene, his son and grandson, both also called Michael, were on board at the time.
The Irish Navy ship Le Eithne, later joined by HMS Bangor, were involved in the search.
Marine Accident Investigators are to stay on as part of a major probe into the circumstances of the trawler’s disappearance but in a statement tonight, the Department for Transport said: ‘‘This search has, sadly, failed to locate the missing vessel. Having completed the task given to them, the naval involvement will terminate tomorrow at noon.’’


