The first victim of Bloody Sunday has told the inquiry he posed no threat when he was shot.
Damien Donaghy, 44, admitted he had been throwing stones on 30 January 1972 but told the Saville tribunal he was empty-handed when struck on the leg by a bullet.
He described as "lies" a soldier's claims that two nail bombs exploded just before the shooting - weapons which justified returning fire under military regulations.
Mr Donaghy, who was 15 on Bloody Sunday, was probably the first person to be shot while the big civil rights demonstration was taking place in Derry's Bogside.
He was wounded with John Johnston, 59, on the edge of the district close to derelict houses where soldiers were watching the parade pass by.
Mr Johnston was shot in the shoulder and leg and died five months later.
Mr Donaghy and Mr Johnston were shot 15 minutes before paratroopers came into the area and 13 men were shot dead.
Mr Donaghty is the first person wounded by the gunfire that day to give live evidence at the Guildhall in Derry to the tribunal, chaired by Lord Saville of Newdigate.
Mr Donaghy said: "After discussions with my legal representative and because the main reason we are here is for the truth to be told, I now wish to admit that I threw stones.
"I would also like to add that when I was shot I did not have a nail bomb or anything else in my hands."