Man ‘thrown like rag doll in vicious, prolonged attack’

The jury in the trial of seven Dubliners charged with murder has seen footage of what the prosecutor described as a “vicious, prolonged and sustained attack” involving kicks and stamps to the 20-year-old’s head and body, after which he was thrown “like a rag doll”.

Man ‘thrown like rag doll in vicious, prolonged attack’

Dale Creighton died on January 2, 2014, about two days after an incident at the footbridge over the Tallaght bypass between St Dominic’s Rd and Greenhills Rd.

At the Central Criminal Court, Aisling Burke, aged 23, and David Burke, aged 28, both with a current address at Beechpark, Collinstown, Co Westmeath; Graham Palmer, aged 26, Park Avenue, Portarlington, Co Laois; Ross Callery, aged 23, of Gortlum Cottages, Brittas, Co Dublin; James Reid, aged 26, Glen Aoibhinn, Gorey, Co Wexford; Jason Beresford, aged 23, of Coill Diarmuida, Ard a’ Laoi, Castledermot, Co Kildare; and Gerard Stevens, aged 27, of Grosvner Square, Rathmines, Dublin, have all pleaded not guilty to murder.

Each accused also pleaded not guilty to violent disorder at the footbridge that New Year’s Day.

Opening the case, Seán Gillane, prosecuting, said each of the accused was responsible for the attack on Mr Creighton, that they had acted together, and that “the intention had to be to cause serious injury, if not death”.

Mr Gillane said the event began around 4am on New Year’s Day, when a girl was heard shouting that her phone was “being robbed”.

“Someone shouted: ‘Grab him’ and a young man was pursued by a number of people,” said Mr Gillane, explaining that this young man was Mr Creighton.

“You’ll be satisfied that Dale Creighton was the subject of a vicious, prolonged, sustained attack and absolutely satisfied that this involved kicks and stamps to the head and body,” he said.

“Then, like a rag doll, [he was] dragged to the steps and thrown down the steps, being remonstrated with and shouted at,” he said.

Mr Creighton was pronounced dead on January 2 at Beaumont Hospital.

The jury was later shown a compilation of CCTV footage of happened between 3.48am and 4.10am.

Witness Síle McCarthy testified she heard screaming and shouting at the footbridge around 3.30am. She looked out and saw a young man being punched at the bottom of the bridge. “They were all surrounding him, kicking and punching him in to the head and body.”

The trial continues.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.