‘Silent’ Pat Hickey hears details of charges being sought in Rio ticketing scandal

Pat Hickey last night heard details of the charges prosecutors in Brazil are seeking over his role in the Olympic ticket touting scandal.
‘Silent’ Pat Hickey hears details of charges being sought in Rio ticketing scandal
Detective Aloysio Falcão.

The 71-year-old, who was arrested in Rio de Janeiro on August 17, could face the charges alongside nine others, including fellow Irishman, THG executive Kevin James Mallon, 36.

The charges being sought include ticket touting, forming a criminal cartel, illicit marketing, embezzlement, tax evasion, and money laundering, a statement from state prosecutors said, without specifying which individuals will face which charges.

The denouncement, signed by prosecutor Marcos Kac, was referred to a special Olympic court on Monday afternoon. It is the latest stage in Brazil’s criminal process. The pair had already been indicted by police earlier in the investigation.

In a phone interview, Mr Kac confirmed 10 individuals, including Mr Hickey, Mr Mallon, and Marcus Evans had details of the charges laid against them. A judge will now decide whether the men will be formally charged.

“The denouncement has already been sent to the court,” he said. “It is up to the court whether to accept this. I believe this will happen on Thursday.”

Last night, Mr Hickey was once again quizzed by detectives as part of a new line of enquiry. During the interview he refused to answer any of the questions put to him, according to detectives.

“He stayed silent,” said detective Aloysio Falcão.

“Until now there have been two people arrested and eight others indicted. They are already being charged by the public prosecutors as well. The 10 are the directors of THG, Patrick Hickey, and the directors of Pro 10. The 10 people charged come from these three institutions.”

Kevin James Mallon

Kevin James Mallon

A previous investigation had been completed and sent to prosecutors last week, leading to the charges announced by prosecutors today, he said.

“Today was a new phase of the investigation that will be explained on Thursday,” said Mr Falcão.

Asked if this new phase of the investigation could lead to more charges, he said: “We believe so. It is a new stage with new crimes.”

He said there was one Irish person not previously mentioned that was now a focus after they examined data from computers and mobile phones seized during the investigation, but he refused to reveal more details about the person’s identity.

Mr Mallon was questioned on Monday and also refused to comment to police.

The executive of hospitality firm THG Sports was first arrested on August 5 at a hotel in Rio de Janeiro, with 823 high-end tickets in his possession.

Detective Aloysio Falcão.

Detective Aloysio Falcão.

Like Mr Hickey, who was arrested on August 17, he has since been released from the Bangu 10 jail while proceedings continue.

A statement issued by PRO10 Sports Management last night said it completely refutes the charges put forward by Brazilian police.

A Hickey family statement said: “He [Mr Hickey] will be invoking his constitutional right to silence because the Brazilian police have released documents to the media that Pat’s lawyers have had no access to.”

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on
www.irishexaminer.com/podcasts

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence