Gangland murder of two sons has left mother 'a broken woman', inquest hears

A mother of two sons murdered in gangland style killings said ‘she is a broken woman’ following her loss.

Gangland murder of two sons has left mother 'a broken woman', inquest hears

Marie McNally said she could never get over the loss of her two boys as she attended an inquest into the death of her younger son, Alan McNally (36). “My life is over,” she said.

Mr McNally from Cappagh Avenue, Finglas, Dublin 11 died due to gunshot wounds on February 2 2012. The father of three sons, the youngest of whom was six when his father was killed, spent the hours before his death drinking in a Finglas pub.

He had previously told a friend, Laura Pennick that his 'head was wrecked' due to an ongoing threat to his life. Mr McNally went to the Cappagh House pub in Finglas around midday on February 1 2012.

Laura Pennick said she made numerous attempts to persuade him to leave throughout the day. She spoke to him around 1.10am on February 2 and he said he was leaving. Moments later, Gardai directed all free units to the scene of a reported shooting at the bar.

Ms Pennick said Mr McNally had been in great form the day before his death, laughing and joking. She said the Cappagh House pub ‘wouldn’t be somewhere he would normally go or stay all day.’

Mr McNally had been badly beaten following a row with ‘some gang from Ballymun,’ according to Ms Pennick. “He said they were not people you would want to start something with. He was on edge about it, he was worried,” she said.

Alan McNally
Alan McNally

Gary Thompson said he was drinking at the bar all day on February 1 with Mr McNally. “We were fairly drunk and out of our heads,” Mr Thompson said in his statement.

“I was talking to Alan and next thing I heard a loud bang. I saw a fella’s arm, a black gun. I jumped off the stool and ran out to the lounge into the storeroom and shut the door behind me. I thought it was me they were after,” Mr Thompson said.

Mr McNally was rushed to Connolly Hospital where he was pronounced dead. The cause of death was multiple gunshot wounds, according to a post-mortem carried out by Deputy State Pathologist Dr Michael Curtis.

Detective Inspector Des McTiernan said Gardai followed 450 lines of inquiry and took 250 witness statements as part of a detailed murder investigation but ultimately no charges were brought. “All avenues were pursued to their finality but the case remains open,” Det Insp McTiernan said.

Mr McNally’s older brother Graham was murdered in Finglas in 2008 aged 34.

The jury returned a verdict of unlawful killing. Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane extended her sympathies to Mrs McNally. “This is a very tragic case. I’m aware you been bereaved previously in a similar fashion, this must be an unbearable burden to bear.”


More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day. PS ... We would love to hear your feedback on the section right HERE.