Mr O’Gorman, aged 39, was killed by his Italian flatmate, Saverio Bellante, who admitted killing him and eating his body parts. Mr Bellante was found not guilty by reason of insanity at the Central Criminal Court in July.
Mr O’Gorman’s family have “grave concerns” about Mr Bellante’s treatment and “dangers” attached to his treatment in the lead-up to the killing, Dublin Coroner’s Court heard.
At a resumed inquest into Mr O’Gorman’s death before coroner Brian Farrell, barrister Aisling Mulligan made a formal request for a full inquest hearing in order to fully examine the circumstances of his death.
“The family feel the matter was not fully ventilated at the trial,” she said. “There was no guilt attached to Mr Bellante’s actions. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity but large elements of the case were not ventilated because of the type of case that was run.”
The family hopes to have the full circumstances of Mr Bellante’s psychiatric treatment and its connection to the killing of Mr O’Gorman aired in court.
“The family have grave concerns in relation to the background of Mr Bellante’s treatment, on the grounds of a danger attached to his treatment and how that led to his death,” said Ms Mulligan.
Mr O’Gorman, a journalist and researcher at the Iona Institute, died as a result of blunt force trauma to the head and stab wounds to the chest at his home in Beech Park Avenue, Castleknock, Dublin 15, in January 2014.
The inquest was opened on March 26, 2014, and adjourned to allow for an investigation and trial at the Central Criminal Court.
Inspector Colm Murphy said a full trial had taken place and matters relating to the killing had been finalised, but he said he had no objection to a full inquest hearing going ahead.
Dr Farrell said he would reach a decision and give reasons for that decision early next month.