Man accused of assaulting 79- year-old in Cork City set to seek bail

A man accused of assault causing harm to a 79- year-old man in Cork City last week has appeared by video link from prison at Cork District Court indicating that he would be looking for bail.
Man accused of assaulting 79- year-old in Cork City set to seek bail

Judge Leo Malone remanded the accused in custody until December 17 on the application of Inspector Eileen Foster.

Emmet Boyle, defending, said there would be an application to have Seán Heelan released on bail on that date. Judge Malone asked if there would be a State objection to the bail application on that date.

Insp Foster said the prosecution would be opposed to bail being granted.

Detective Garda Gordon Crowley arrested Mr Heelan on Wednesday, December 2, at the Bridewell Garda Station and charged him with assault causing harm and an unrelated offence of causing criminal damage to a house.

Det Garda Crowley cautioned him that he did not have to say anything but that anything he might say would be taken down in writing and given in evidence. He replied “I am sorry” to both charges.

The case was then adjourned, with the accused remanded in custody until yesterday for the video link appearance.

Mr Boyle, who was appointed to represent Mr Heelan on free legal aid, did not make an application for bail last week.

The most serious charge against Mr Heelan, aged 29, of Cork Simon Community and originally from Boherbue, Co Cork, was one of assault causing harm to a 79-year-old man at St Paul’s Avenue, off Cornmarket St, Cork City, at 9.30pm on Tuesday, December 1.

The pensioner was returning to his car, which was parked on St Paul’s Avenue, near a service entrance for the shopping market in the area, when the assault is alleged to have occurred.

The second charge facing Mr Heelan was of causing criminal damage to a house at Clifden Terrace, Summerhill North, Cork, on December 2.

More in this section