Suspected unaccompanied minor had €5k cash on him when arrested

A suspected unaccompanied minor, who was allegedly brought to Ireland following his father’s murder, had €5,000 on him when he was arrested at a Dublin shopping centre, a court was told.

Suspected unaccompanied minor had €5k cash on him when arrested

The young male, who claims to be aged 17 and from Nigeria, appeared at the Dublin Children’s Court yesterday charged under the Immigration Act. It is alleged that being a non-national, over the age of 16, he failed to produce a passport or a other valid travel documents.

Judge O’Connor said the Child and Family Agency must make inquiries into his identity.

The defendant was arrested at the Liffey Valley shopping centre in west Dublin on Monday and brought to Ronanstown Garda Station, where he was charged and held pending his court appearance.

Defence solicitor Gareth Noble told Judge O’Connor he was instructed to give the court information about the accused’s personal circumstance.

The court was told his father had been killed. The young male, who did not address the court, was subsequently brought to Ireland and left here by a friend of his late father about 10 weeks ago, the solicitor said.

The court heard he spent about two months in Galway and over the past two weeks he had been taken in by a family in the Midlands who had befriended him. Two of them were present for the hearing and have agreed to let him stay with them.

He was unable to provide any travel documents and was not known to the Garda National Immigration Bureau. Mr Noble said there were concerns the youth was an unaccompanied minor and the purpose of him brought to Ireland needed to be assessed.

Various inquires would have to be made to establish if he needed care and attention or if he was the victim of trafficking, the lawyer said.

Garda Kamil Linder Pawel gave evidence of the youth’s arrest and had an evidence bag containing €5,000 in €50 notes which was seized from the defendant.

The young male consented to his fingerprints being taken by gardaí, Judge O’Connor was told.

The judge remanded him on bail to appear again next week. As a condition of bail he had to go to a Garda station with the arresting officer to give fingerprints.

He has to reside with the family who have offered him accommodation for the past two weeks and he has to be contactable by mobile phone. A warning was given that he could be remanded in custody if the bail terms were broken.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on
www.irishexaminer.com/podcasts

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence

Home Delivery
logo-ie

HOME DELIVERY SERVICE

Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.