Probe into Dublin Airport hangar fire

Flight operations were pulled for a time at Dublin Airport after a fire broke out in a hangar.

Probe into Dublin Airport hangar fire

No one was injured in the blaze which broke out in a maintenance facility at the airport shortly after 7am, forcing the runways to be closed.

Despite initial warnings that flights in and out of Dublin could be delayed by several hours, possibly up to midday, operations resumed at 8.45am.

The fire broke out in the roof of hangar three towards the rear of the airport grounds and it was contained in just over an hour.

“The fire was in a hangar in a restricted area of the airport, which is separate from the passenger facilities,” the airport said.

Several crews from the airport’s own emergency teams and Dublin Fire Brigade were tasked to contain the fire.

Fire chiefs reported that the blaze had been contained by about 8.15am.

The Dublin Airport Authority confirmed 10 flights due to land at the airport while the fire was being fought were diverted, with six landing at Shannon and four in Belfast.

Three services were cancelled.

Hangar three is used by Eirtech Aviation, an aircraft maintenance firm, and it is understood planes were in the hangar for paint jobs.

CityJet later confirmed one of its Whisper jets — planes used to fly into airports in built-up areas such as London City — was in the hangar at the time but was not damaged.

All Eirtech staff were evacuated from the hangar for several hours after the fire broke out.

In a statement, Eirtech Aviation said none of its staff were injured in the fire.

Investigations into the cause of the blaze are continuing, with officials from the Dublin Airport Authority examining the safety of the hangar structure.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence

Home Delivery


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.