Galway man held over killing in UK

A 36-year-old Galway man has been arrested at a port in Wales on suspicion of the murder of a man in England just over a week ago.

Galway man held over killing in UK

According to police in Cambridgeshire, Jeff Henry died as result of a “brutal attack” which took place in Cambridge in the early hours of June 7 and which is thought to have involved two men.

The 39-year-old victim was seen running away from two men on Campkin Rd in the city just minutes before the attack at 12.45am. Detectives believe he was subjected to two assaults that night, the first taking place 25 minute earlier.

According to Cambridge News, police believe the attackers beat Mr Henry with a “cylindrical wooden weapon” such as a baseball bat or a pool cue.

He was taken to Addenbrooke’s hospital and remained in a critical condition with a fractured skull and traumatic brain injuries.

He died on June 12 after the decision was made to turn off his life-support machine.

Just a day later, on Saturday, the 36 year-old Galway man was arrested at Holyhead port in Anglesey on suspicion of murder.

As of yesterday he remained in police custody in a Cambridge police station.

Detective Inspector Alan Page, who is leading the investigation, said: “At 39 years of age, Jeff was a relatively young man with plenty of his life left to live and enjoy. This was a brutal attack.”

Police have appealed for information from the local community about events leading up to the killing.

Earlier in the evening, Mr Henry had been at the Strawberry Fair and had been seen walking with his purple push bike which had a black metal basket and a gel seat.

Neither it, nor his glasses and phone, have been seen since the attack.

Police also appealed for residents in the vicinity of where the attack happened to be on the look-out for any discarded item that may have been the murder weapon.

The investigating officers previously said they wanted to speak to two men, both described as white, slim, and between 6ft and 6ft 2in and thought to be in their 20s who were seen leaving the area.

More in this section