An RTÉ spokesman said the show had been a sporting Reeling In The Years-type programme that was to feature viewer input. A spokesman said the programme “won’t be made now, sadly”. It is understood O’Herlihy attended a production meeting about the show in recent weeks.
The Cork-born broadcaster, 76, died unexpectedly in his Dublin home early on Monday. Just the previous night he had attended the annual Iftas ceremony in his role as chairman of the Irish Film Board.
As tributes continued to be paid to the much-loved presenter, news of his funeral arrangements were made public.
His funeral will take place at 11.30am on Friday at the Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour in Foxrock, Dublin, with burial following afterwards at Shanganagh Cemetery near Shankill.
The death notice posted on RIP.ie described how O’Herlihy had died “peacefully at home” and that he was the beloved husband of Hilary and loving father of Jill and Sally. It listed his sons-in-law, grandchildren, brothers, and other members of his family, adding that he was predeceased by his sisters Margaret and Mary.
Other tributes are being organised, among them a minute’s silence to be held before kick-off in the friendly between Ireland and England at the Aviva on June 7.
Cork City Council will open a Book of Condolences to the public from 10am today. It will be opened by Deputy Lord Mayor Cllr Ken O’Flynn in the atrium of the Civic Offices in Cork City Hall and it will remain open during regular office hours.