Security in normally relaxed Canada has been tighter in the days since a gunman shot dead a soldier in Ottawa before charging into the parliament building and another man ran over two soldiers with a car, killing one, outside Montreal.
Toronto emergency responders donned oxygen tanks and yellow full-body hazardous material suits shortly after dawn, set up decontamination tents, and practised how they would respond in an office tower that had received a suspicious package.
The drill had long been planned and was not a reaction to the twin attacks that police said had been carried out by men they described as home-grown radicals, officials said.
Some acknowledged that it took on a more urgent tone in the wake of those incidents.
“We had to be very specific with our strategic briefing after what happened in Ottawa,” said Daniel Martin, a staff sergeant with the Toronto Police Department.
The attacks, which police said were the work of Canadian citizens who were recent converts to Islam, came during a week that the nation sent additional jet fighters to the Middle East to take part in air strikes against Islamic State militants.
Canadian officials vowed to keep up their involvement in the military campaign despite the attacks and planned to reopen the parliament building to the public today, though they said they would begin locking the doors overnight.
The mother of the gunman, 32-year-old Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, denied in a letter to the Canadian news agency Postmedia a statement by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police that she told them her son had intended to travel to Syria.
Her son, who came to Ottawa from Vancouver seeking a passport, had wanted to travel to Saudi Arabia to study the Koran, Susan Bibeau wrote.
The nation also prepared for a pair of funerals — 24-year-old Corporal Nathan Cirillio tomorrow, and one for 53-year-old Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent on Saturday.