Teen faces jail for ‘appalling’ attack on bus staff

A 16-year-old boy who attacked two Bus Éireann workers and made threats about raping their family members has been warned he could be facing a custodial sentence.

Teen faces jail for ‘appalling’ attack on bus staff

The teenager launched into a sexually graphic tirade during the incident when he assaulted two men at Busáras in Dublin city centre on a date in August.

He pleaded guilty to assault charges and sentencing was deferred with a warning that he could be detained.

However, a judge has also sought a report on whether the Probation Service thinks he is suitable for a “restorative justice” approach. This could involve a meeting his victims to show him how his actions affected them.

The Dublin Children’s Court heard that the teenager is in care and had gone missing for a day. He was about to board a bus to return to a children’s home but the driver told him he had not paid enough for his ticket and was 90c short.

The teenager told the driver to “fuck himself” and a bus inspector then asked him to step off. The inspector explained that the bus would still take him provided he was civil, but the teenager also swore at him.

The inspector refused to let him on the bus and the teenager tried to strike him, Garda Declan Reynolds told Judge John O’Connor.

Security guards stepped in and had to restrain the boy.

When Garda Reynolds arrived, he found the teenager extremely aggressive as he was being held by security staff at the bus depot. He was still shouting threats against the inspector, telling him and other staff members he would return to Busáras and stab him.

The boy calmed down after he was arrested and taken to Store Street Garda Station, the court heard.

He has 11 prior criminal convictions including possessing bullets, assaults, drug possession, criminal damage, and public order offences.

Gareth Noble, defending, told Judge O’Connor that the teenager had “sporadic contact with his family”.

On previous occasions, he had “placed himself and others in dangerous situations”, Mr Noble said, adding that the teen is now taking part in a full-time educational course.

Judge O’Connor said the boy had made threats that were “so appalling that it is not good enough if you say sorry”.

The boy remained silent until the closing minutes of the hearing when he blurted out: “Sorry about that, I was highly intoxicated at the time.”

He was remanded on continuing bail and will appear in court in November.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence

Discover the

Install our free app today

Available on


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.