The three men were arrested following last Sunday night’s attempted raid on the home of Pat Glavin, who runs a successful outdoor catering company.
Niall Fitzpatrick, aged 46, of 7 Corrin Close, The Glen; Vincent Murray, aged 37, of 19 Glandore Park, Knocknaheeny;, and Trevor O’Sullivan, aged 37, with an address at 24 Curraheen Drive, Bishopstown, were each charged with entering the house of the businessman at Rougrane, Glanmire, on Aug 11, as a trespasser with intent to commit theft.
Garda Deirdre Murphy said at the court sitting yesterday that Mr Fitzpatrick made no reply to the charge when she cautioned him at Mayfield Garda Station.
Det Sgt Sean McCarthy from Mayfield said he was objecting to bail for Mr Fitzpatrick on the grounds of the seriousness of the charge and the risk that he might abscond rather than face trial.
Mr Fitzpatrick’s solicitor, Daithí Ó Donnabháin, said his client “was willing to abide to any bail conditions” imposed by the court.
Det Sgt McCarthy admitted Mr Fitzpatrick had been civil and co-operative when he was arrested, but reiterated his concerns about granting bail and added that more serious charges were likely to follow in the cases of all three men.
Det Garda Michael Dillane gave evidence of arresting and charging Vincent Murray at Cobh Garda Station and said that the defendant had made no reply to the charge.
A similar application for bail for Mr Murray was also objected to by Det Sgt McCarthy.
Despite being told that Mr Murray was a carer for his three schoolgoing children and was willing to surrender his passport, Det Sgt McCarthy said he was concerned that if granted bail he “would attempt to evade justice”.
Garda Robert McCarthy said that when he charged Trevor O’Sullivan, also at Cobh Garda Station, he made no reply to the charge.
The court was told that Mr O’Sullivan lived with his mother and had two children.
Det Sgt McCarthy objected to bail on the seriousness of the charge and because he could also face further charges.
Judge Aingeal Ní Chonduin refused to grant all three men bail because of “the serious nature” of the charges against them.
However, Judge Ní Chondúin did grant the men legal aid.
She then remanded them to appear again before Cork District Court on Aug 21.
Mr Fitzpatrick will appear in person at the court on that day, while the other two will appear via a video link.
Two other men who were arrested in the same garda operation have been released without charge.
A file is being prepared for the DPP in their cases.